• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Deciphering Name On Census Record

Many thanks for the input regarding my query.
  2. N

Deciphering Name On Census Record

I have been recently going through some Census records relating to family members and have a query relating to a detail on a 1911 Census record. The word in question is written in the 'Occupation' column but has been partially crossed out, I think it may be the name of the company where the...
  3. N

Pinfold House Mansfield Road Yardley

Reviving an older thread, I came across a photo from circa 1952 which I believe shows a garage located in Mansfield Road, Yardley - I looked at a current comparison view on Streetview and the main building of the garage (now a residential dwelling) is still present on the corner of the newer...
  4. N

St John Ambulance Brigade

Pleased to see a reply from someone who was at the unit around the same era - and yes I remember Lisa and Anna, I think at that time they were corporal/sergeant respectively and can also recall them taking the drill/assembly parades. I'm not sure if it was the first Birmingham Marathon I...
  5. N

St John Ambulance Brigade

I joined the St John Ambulance Brigade in 1981/2 as an ambulance cadet at Yardley Village Quadrilateral Division which at that time was based at St Edburghas church hall Yardley with the unit being run by Ken and Yvonne Marland. Training evenings (I think!) used to be on a Wednesday and I can...
  6. N

Leopold Street

Phil, That's great - exactly what I was looking for, many thanks for posting those :)
  7. N

Leopold Street

Hi there, Further to obtaining details from the 1939 Register, I'm trying to pinpoint an address on any available period map of the locality - the address I'm interested in is written as: 6/50 Leopold Street, if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful. Many thanks
  8. N

College Place, Springhill

It certainly makes it a little more tricky when trying to pinpoint the location!
  9. N

Mike - the person in question I'm looking into was indeed John Massam (rather than Messam) living at number 3 College Place
  10. N

Many thanks for the replies and more detailed map, yes I think I can see a College Place off College Street
  11. N

Hi there, I'm currently trying to find the exact location for (no.3) College Place, Springhill, B'ham at the time period of the 1911 census. Looking at other addresses on the census, it would seem to be a small number of addresses which fall between 158 and 164 Springhill.......I have looked at...
  12. N

WWII Barrage Balloon Sites

Interesting post - my grandparents lived in Oakhurst Road throughout WW2, as did my late uncle who would've been around 7 years old in 1940.My dad can also recount a few passed on snippets from that time - my gran apparently called the anti-aircraft gun 'Big Bertha' due to the noise when firing...
  13. N

Middlemore Home?

You may or may not have come across this website but there are references to the Middlemore Home locations in St Luke's Road on the following page: https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BirminghamMiddlemore/
  14. N

Vicarage Road, Aston

Excellent - just what I was looking for :-) - many thanks for that, much appreciated!
  15. N

Vicarage Road, Aston

That would be excellent - thanks :-)
  16. N

Vicarage Road, Aston

Hi, I wonder if anyone could advise me of/point me in the direction of a good quality detailed map of the Vicarage Road, Aston area - in particular, one which shows the location of individual addresses, i.e. court houses? I have two specific addresses relating to family members who lived in...
  17. N

Maternity Hospital, Newhall Street (?)

Thanks once again for the further details, I'll probably be make a further 'photo trip' into B'ham at some point as I also want to take a look at the building which used to be the Middlemore Home in St Lukes Road - it's just even more interesting and often quite poignant too in a way (to me...
  18. N

Many thanks for the replies, very interesting!
  19. N

Hi there, I've just had a very quick scan through the hospital threads and could not see a reference so thought I'd post an enquiry thread. I'm currently researching a person in my family tree who I've discovered was one of the Middlemore Home children sent to Canada under the mass emigration...
  20. N

Fox Crescent, (off Fernley Road) Sparkhill

Hi - somewhat of a longshot but thought I'd post an enquiry on the off-chance......wonder if anyone (or anyone's family) may have known of the 'Richards' family of no.8 Fox Crescent (off Fernley Road) Sparkhill (?) - I'm currently researching my maternal grandfather's family and this would...
Back