• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Downloading Photos, Census Pages Etc To Ftm

I hope this is the right place to submit this! I have recently had to change my PC as the HD had failed but I managed to have all my files transferred. I am using Windows 10; Firefox; AVG security and FTM 2017. In my download file I have copies of census pages; photos; baptism pages etc. When I...
  2. F

Wedding Photo August 1936 in Northfield.

This is a stab in the dark. The attached photo is of my parents' wedding in St Laurence Church, Northfield in 1936. The two married are Albert Philip Nicklin and Maud Hodgetts. Does anyone recognise any of the other people in the photo? I can guess at one or two but any names would be welcomed...
  3. F

Windows 10 Mail

Can someone come to the rescue please? I have a tiscali.co.uk email address and I use TalkTalk Mail for my in and out emails. To send an email via Windows 10 Mail I have to get into TalkTalk to retrieve an address. How do I transfer my contacts from TalkTalk to Windows 10 Mail? Make it simple...
  4. F

1920's car

My Grandfather had this car in, I think, the early 1920's. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Make, engine size, model etc Is it a Ford or an Austin? Thanks for looking Dave
  5. F

Royal Navy WWI update

Following previous conversations with members I have now received info from TNA re my Grandfather's time in WWI. Attached are parts of the two pages that I have received. Can someone please add some detail to the information contained here? Having paid for the info I now find that it has just...
  6. F

Royal Navy WWI

I have just discovered that my Grandfather was in the Royal Navy in WWI. I have downloaded part of his service record to see what he did and where. Can someone please decipher it for me! The info is attached I would like to know a bit more about him. Amazingly my parents never mentioned that...
  7. F

Nailers and nailmaking

I have a number of ancestors, male and female, who were nailers in the Bartley Green area in the late 1800's. In fact most of the villagers seemed to be nailers. They worked many hours. With no TV, radio etc and probably unable to read how did they know what was going on in the world? They must...
  8. F

St Martins Church, Birmingham And Marriages.

I have 3 or 4 female ancestors who were married in St Martins Church, Birmingham in the late 1800's and early 1900's but did not live in Birmingham. Is there likely to be any reason for this? Any thoughts please Dave
  9. F

Northfield Workhouse

I have come across 3 of my ancestors who all died in Northfield Workhouse. They were from the same family.William Witheford in August 1820, Thomas Witheford in January 1821 and Richard Witheford in December 1835. Can anyone give me some information about the workhouse please? Whenever I search...
  10. F

Longbridge High School, Northfield in the 1920's

I have my mother's school reports from when she was at school from Christmas 1921 to Easter 1925. The headed note paper that the report was written on stated the school was LONGBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL, NORTHFIELD. The Head teacher was a Miss Dann. In one of my mother's diaries she states that she...
  11. F

Robert Vaughton/ Mary Ann Dymoke

I have relatives who lived in Vaughton Street, Dymoke Street and Emily Street in the 1860's. I understand these names were related. Can someone tell me who Robert Vaughton was and why his family should have streets named after them? I believe the street names are still in use. Thanks in...
  12. F

Master Tailor's from 1830's to 1870's

My 3 x Great Grandfather was born in Sutton Coldfield in 1772. He was a tailor for his whole life. On his Death Certificate it states that he was a 'Master Tailor'. How was this different to being an 'ordinary' tailor? Could he charge more? Did he have a better lifestyle? Can someone give me...
Back