• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

The Cabin at Sheldon

Hello Ann Was that the Gee family in Sheldon Heath Road opposite the Comprehensive,if so we lived 2 doors away.
  2. R

tower ball room

I was part of the trio ( The Millionaires) fresh out of school (18)playing on the revolving stage 1970 for about 2 years, Bobby Johnsons Big Band on the other side.Palm trees around the dance floor and it was the time of the 3 day working week with regular power cuts but the ballroom had its own...
  3. R

The Non-famous Music Scene In Birmingham

Hello Oldbrit..... at 15/16 I was in a band called "The Millionaires" who did the same club circuit as you, we left the club scene approx 2 years later when we got a calling from Mecca to do the :Tower Ballroom" Edgbaston as the resident band.
  4. R

Birmingham Restaurants

Yes I remember that one Big Gee it was known as the "s*ag bag" in our group, can't remember much of the curries but I believe it was upstairs????
  5. R

Birmingham Restaurants

Anyone remember the name of the Indian restaurant that was just off the big island over the road opposite the Swan Yardley pub/night spot. The restaurant had a night club over it. the restaurant was quite large inside, the security guy I think, was called Jimmy he was a large Jamaican and at the...
  6. R

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

Anyone remember the name of the Indian restaurant that was just off the big island over the road opposite the Swan Yardley pub/night spot. The restaurant had a night club over it. the restaurant was quite large inside, the security guy I think, was called Jimmy he was a large Jamaican and at the...
  7. R

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Thanks Michael, great pic.
  8. R

Reading through posts reminded me of Green Lane baths, 2301307229_73400b00d0_z.jpg every Tuesday night (I think) it was for Police and their families. I remember the victorian interior with the changing rooms around the pool. My sister and I used to catch the bus from our Police house in...
  9. R

Sheldon

Remember the prefabs in Sheldon Heath Road, i lived opposite in the 50's/60's, they were two deep and we used to play around the pathways between much to the annoyance of the residents, great for snowball fights and war games.
  10. R

Sheldon shops

Anyone remember the Sheldon Heath mob in the 60's? a gang of about 7 bad lads.
  11. R

Sheldon shops

Wow what great photos, brought back memories. The sweet shop had a cadburys chocolate vending machine outside and you could get your hand up and get a bar without paying. The sweets were on the right as you entered and the papers on the left.The land down Sheldon Heath road had not been...
  12. R

Sheldon shops

I lived in Sheldon Heath road from 1956 to 1970 and remember her!!, I too was petrified of her, you had to have your polio etc injections and I'm sure she used a knitting needle to inject, soo painful, I dreaded going for injections. I once gashed my hand and had to have 3 metal clips stuck in...
  13. R

Thanks for that.
  14. R

Social Clubs and Working Men’s Clubs

I agree there are survivors, but as you say in your experience cheap booze got dearer, also clubs did not want to pay for a live bands for various reasons so those survivors have had to adapt to stay open, but it is nothing like it used to be. Lol at your seat issue.....some things never change.
  15. R

Thanks for responding J, yes he was an optimist also that he would win the pools, but never won either. I am his son and he died 1986, his song was "I did it my way" he certainly did, his body packed up.
  16. R

Cannon Hill Park

I played in a band called the Hykells at the tulip festival on the open air stage, at that time Cilla Black arrived by helicopter to open it
  17. R

Groups We Have Seen Live

our band used to be on the same club circuit saw them once at the crest club.
  18. R

Yes he was John
  19. R

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Also because I worked for Mecca at the Tower Ballroom in the band all musicians had a free pass to the Opposite Lock, so I finished at midnight then went to the Lock to have a good time
  20. R

hurst st

Yes Anne I remember that song now.
Back