• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

Bill Switchgear

Wife's 25 yr service clock still going strong in porch. Over the years we saw Silver link switches mounted on walls, a product she assembled along with mccb's Been in those gates a fare few times picking her up after work. Her mum, sadly passed, worked in the canteen. For myself Shady Lane and...
  2. F

Token books for BHF to sell etc.

It seems I missed the meet up. Quite right Lyn (from your other meet up post) I'm one of those who received help loads of time. So if wanted any proceeds from below to BHF. As I've had them circa 50 yrs I personally would like them to go to someone with an interest in history, however I leave...
  3. F

Chirsal King

Thanks for your help. Just popped into library to gauge scale of King at Tetbury alone. Gave FMP a go rather than An. Earlist King reported circa 1650. 1650 - 1820 68 births. 1760 - 1840 134 Mar If I widen the search by only 5 miles the numbers increase to wow. Going down John King born on...
  4. F

Chirsal King

Thanks for links. It becomes a bit muddied as from Tetbury King family ended up around Pencoyd Michealchurch ,Tretire, Hoarwithy, Howard's End, Hentland etc. King families are John 1803 & 1823 then George W then George either stayed around there, nearer Ross or moved to Abergaveeny (then...
  5. F

Chirsal King

Forgot, actually emailed Sollershope church to see if a hamlet or village of Stanclia existed. I can but ask.
  6. F

Chirsal King

Tinpot, thanks, nothing showing on my mobile so will pop down library sometime and try from there.
  7. F

Chirsal King

Thanks for pointing out wife/nephew. In at least 1700's King and its variants are in Tetbury hence my doubt he was born on sea, not the more usual born at sea. James was listed as brother to John King b 1823 with circa damage gap in later census. In 1822 a John King m Mary Ann Bamford at...
  8. F

Chirsal King

Unsure if you allow this. Clutching at straws. 1851 census: John King (1803 born on sea ?) had his nephew William Chirsal listed born Gloucester Stanclia (?) Parish Sollershope. My theory and hope is nephew must be John's sister who married a Chrisal. Finding William or his sister may give...
  9. F

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

I moved from Lozells Juniors at I suppose 11 ish so that would be 1954/5 and stayed there until school days ended. Photo from banjo is good, thanks. As yet the names rings bells, but my memory might take some time to put names to them. My last teacher was aged perhaps confirmed by him saying due...
  10. F

Gower Street Boys and Girls Schools

Hi John. My time was circa 56 - 60. Mainly in the building lower down in Guildford St. Although for a time was upgraded to main block as maths was much better than other subjects. Use to go back of the church for pottery and metalwork classes. Ray
  11. F

RIP PHIL

Sadly I've never met Phil but one of those folks whose warmth and kindness was felt from a distance. My condolences to family and friends. Rest in Peace Phil.
  12. F

burbury st park

titles only
  13. F

burbury st park

Lyn. Know the pic - will search - I see you have to tick the box.
  14. F

burbury st park

Thanks lyn. Can anyone recall the name of the grove/place opposite the Sally Army by the phone box. Wife's mate down there was Mary mine Dennis.
  15. F

burbury st park

Thank you! If the black vehicle was 2 houses down it would have been outside our house which formed part of the alley way leading to Prospect Place. Its said my mother only joined the Sally Army so she could have a hat. As Lyn says re maisonettes. Was that a bomb peck? If so another what 50...
  16. F

burbury st park

Yep they built another annexe next to it. I think from the front of Defford Place bedroom window you could look at the girls - not that I did of course. Wife informs the house she lived in Burbery St caught fire around mid 60's so they had to leave.
  17. F

burbury st park

Thanks. That's later from when I was there. Reckon left about 1964/5 Parenrs a bit later. It was between Nursery Rd and Guthrie? St. Pretty much in-line with Clifford St.
  18. F

burbury st park

Thanks for the photo, brings back some memories. Now if you look at the school (white building annex to Lozells Girls) then down from that is a wall separating the back of Defford Place houses from the backs of Burbery street. About half way down is where I fell off the wall to lower side of...
  19. F

burbury st park

Lyn posted this on jump to. Came across this map showing Burbery Park. Lots of trees back then. I can recall some trees but mostly, besides swings etc a large area of sand which according to Library it was belived to be the first all weather park. I know from email via Central Library it was...
  20. F

Is a parish/church a good guide in selecting ancestor?

Think I got there at last. After a few hours checking for other close by marriage possibilities chose for starters the given marriage in Handsworth. Found Jane Davis, parents William & Elizaberh Ann Davis, St Phillips, B'ham birth 02/01/1818 and baptism 22,/02/1819. Elizabeth Ann only occurs...
Back