• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. U

Birmingham Odeon

I remember seeing Santana there, and Colosseum, and John Mclaughlin`s Mahavishnu orchestra, all in the seventies. Last band I saw there was the Undertones, which was probably early eighties. Happy daze....
  2. U

Hall Of Memory - Online Remembrance Books

Several years ago I was successful in having my two relatives who were killed in action in world war one added to the roll of honour. This involved a ceremony at the Hall of Memory, which was attended by various dignitaries from the armed forces, and several veterans and public figures. Also...
  3. U

Royal Warwickshire Regiment.WW1

Anyone interested in the 1/8th Royal Warwickshire regiment, please take a look at this wonderful study/history that I stumbled across when looking for something else. It`s a little goldmine of information. Hope you find it useful. https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/13/1/Williams00MPhil.pdf
  4. U

Old street pics..

I would find it hard to say which end of the road we are looking at, but it`s a great old picture, and I`m very grateful to you for digging it out for me Phil. My granddad lived in Grove yard when I was very young, and he also lived at Mona Road before that. My dad went to Colmore Road school...
  5. U

Old street pics..

Would anyone happen to have any pictures of Mona Road Small Heath, or Grove Road Kings Heath by any chance please ?
  6. U

Old street pics..

Well, I`ve just pretty well spent the entire day on this thread. What a wonderful journey I have had. I`m up to page 200, and now must try to extract myself from the chair. It`s so hard to drag myself away, but I mustn`t be late picking my wife up from work. OR ELSE!! Just felt that I had to...
  7. U

Berners Street, Lozells

That`s fantastic Lyn. To get to our door you had to go up the entry, with the house on your left, and we had the ground floor, and first floor. I remember my sister being born upstairs. You`re quite right when you locate us at Tavistock Road in 1965. We were also at Stonebrook Avenue Weoley...
  8. U

Berners Street, Lozells

lyn, I must have missed this picture earlier, but looking at it now gives me goosebumps. It`s just as I remember it ! Thank you so much for re-posting it for me. I`m so grateful also for the confirmation via the e rolls too. Many thanks for taking the trouble, and thanks to your friend. I wonder...
  9. U

Berners Street, Lozells

Wonderful lyn, I`ll keep my fingers crossed that I can re learn my old address, which thanks to lindyloo`s posting I am now sure was in Berners Street. Spot on with the maps lindyloo. I think I can re-gather my marbles again. I seem to be getting more and more of these "elderly moments", but...
  10. U

Help needed tracing Small Heath burials

Thanks jukebox, I will do that. I feel sure that this is his resting place, though I may find no physical sign of it. However, a visit to the church will I am sure confirm that he is there. You have been so helpful. I am much obliged to you. I agree that jennyanns link is a really useful...
  11. U

Handsworth Cemetery Private George Harold Faragher

John. I don`t mean to poke my nose in, just trying to help, but if you click on the link that Pollypops has provided, and when that page opens click on the red box that says "see casualty records", this will bring up a list on which you will find George. If you click on his name in the...
  12. U

Berners Street, Lozells

That`s very kind of you Lyn. It would be great to know for sure. My parents were called John and Barbara Plumb, but they weren`t married until 1956, and wouldn`t have been in the area before then.Unfortunately I think this may rule out your generous offer. 1960 may stand a good chance, but we...
  13. U

Berners Street, Lozells

I wonder if someone can help me out of my state of confusion. As a child, I definitely lived in either Berners Street, or Wheeler Street around 1960. I have always carried this confusion around with me, but for some reason seem to remember that it was Berners. As I remember, it was a long...
  14. U

Old street pics..

Astoness. Thanks for pointing out the Wheeler Street thread for me. I`m just lapping all these wonderful old pictures up. Saying that, it`s so sad to see so many lost due to the recent hacking. Why on earth people would steal all those pictures when they can simply copy them is beyond...
  15. U

Many thanks jennyman. I`ll have a trawl through the list. I have no proof other than the information so kindly provided by other members on this thread. I`m right at the beginning of my search here on the forum, so any links like the one that you have posted are most helpful, and gratefully...
  16. U

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

Re: Aston and lozells pic reposted... Another wonderful trip down memory lane. So grateful to everyone for posting. ​AND RE-POSTING !!
  17. U

Thanks for looking into that for me jennyann. Much appreciated. Does this mean that he was definitely not buried at St.Saviours then after all. (Forgive me if that is a stupid question)
  18. U

Many thanks for the pics and info MWS. I`m very grateful to you for your time. The graveyard looks incredibly overgrown, and I`m certain that his family would not have been able to afford a headstone. However, a trip to the church may reveal more. We shall see. Thanks again for your help.
  19. U

That`s great jukebox. I have his widow living at "back of" 19 Palmer Street, so without any doubt this is my great great grandfather. This being so, it`s worth a ride over there to see if I can check out their records. Fantastic result for me. Relative number one tracked down. Thanks so much...
  20. U

Old street pics..

Thanks for the welcome. You had me in right from page 1, where I saw two pictures of Wheeler Street, which was the first place that I have any memory of living at. This would have been in the very early 60`s. They were back to backs, with a toilet block and brewhouse, and I seem to remember a...
Back