• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Black Country Museum

Make sure you do Simon, I have no idea how many Guys are likely to turn up but it should be a pleasant day.:unconscious:
  2. B

Black Country Museum

I will be there to Simon, there should be around five ex West Bromwich buses there. I hope you enjoy it.
  3. B

The Early Days of The Bus Museum At Wythall

Stans sudden death was a huge shock to all, he was a very knowledgeable chap especially thing Midland Red and also tramways and there are many buses and trams that are adorned with his art. He had a good sense of humour too. The Transport Group at the Black country Living Museum intended to take...
  4. B

Smethwick

I too have a bit of a fascination with the pieces made there, in fact a few years back we bought two pieced of Ruskin at an auction in Stourbridge, a large fruit bowl which is used for it's intended purpose and matching small vase which is slightly chipped , I can't remember what we paid for...
  5. B

Black Country Museum

I would leave it until the spring Bernard :)
  6. B

Black Country Museum

Hello Simon, as one of the Transport Group members at the BCLM perhaps I can explain exactly what is happening. I don't want to comment about the trams as all that can be said has been said. The trolley buses should be back in operation in the spring , they would not normally be in operation...
  7. B

The Rubber Shop in Smethwick

Ethel M Voss is also listed in the 1951 Kelly's directory.
  8. B

T.D.Cross & Sons Ltd

I'm fairly certain they made bottom bracket sets for the cycle industry and no doubt other parts too.
  9. B

Apparently Stans transfers adorn many preserved buses, he also painted the Dudley Zoo advert onto the D9.
  10. B

Hello Simon, I have just re-read my post and what I really meant was I would love a ride in a D7 as opposed to a D9, the later of which I had had a few rides in and drove one last year around the Black Country Museum's site, I'm occasionally let loose with one of the trolleybuses too!! I had...
  11. B

Interesting photographs, I was suprised that some of the buses were in such good condition way back then, or at least they look in good condition, I know looks can be very deceptive! The D7 was a bus that never really fell into my favourite category, the D9 did but thats another story but I...
  12. B

Lightwoods Park, Bearwood

Lovely memories, this is about the same era when I used to play in it, up to about 1957. The pool was a health hazard though!
  13. B

Snow Hill Station

I never like travelling through Snow Hill Station, as I can well remember it when it was a busy vibrant place but I suppose what remains is better than nothing. When we visit Birmingham, from Stourbridge, we tend to go through to Moor Street a station that I never knew as a spotter/student of...
  14. B

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

OK Wendy, well he definitely had good taste when it came to choosing a nice lightweight racer! Incidently I sold mine in about 1968 to a colleague who had it resprayed white my a well known West Bromwich bike builder by the name of Major Nichols.
  15. B

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Sounds the same vintage as mine :) I like the bit about the sports car...........I bet she wasn't to impressed when she found out the truth! Aha!! Wendy, just read Johns post re the colour, he states lime green......same colour as mine, lime green metallic with black down tube. Im fairly...
  16. B

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Aha Wendy, is this the first time you have "fessed up" to this? LOL! I know this is probably going to sound like a silly question but can you remember the year he had the bike? and the frame colour?
  17. B

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Thanks Astonian, Smethwick was home to a few cycle makers and component makers also, probably the best known was Phillips (A.J Phillips and Co Ltd) of Bridge St and another well known name of Brooks in Downing St whos saddles were always specified for lightweight racing cycles but are no longer...
  18. B

Falcon Cycles Smethwick

Many thanks for clearing this up, it appears to be quite a complex story and back in 1964 Falcon had a good name for making bikes that were well shall we say a cut above the average, my Olympic cost about £36 in '64 which was quite a lot of money I think their San remo that the racing team used...
  19. B

The Birmid

Interesting photos and a bit before my time which was 1967-1979 the latter due to enforced redundancy when DAC No 1 closed which was effectivly the start of the huge decline in heavy industry that ran through the country and has never really stopped.
Back