• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. mollie cross

Does anyone remember the organ grinder and his monkey

I remember Randalls, it was on the Lichfield road, Aston Cross, My Aunt worked there for about Forty years as a Binder.
  2. mollie cross

Does anyone remember the organ grinder and his monkey

Yes I'm sure I remember an organ grinder in The Bullring, just seeing your post jogged my memory !
  3. mollie cross

Witton Road

I think it was Albert Road Christopher.
  4. mollie cross

Witton Road

I remember that chemists shop, it was taken over by a lady pharmacist some time in the fifties. Her name was Elizabeth Hudson, Her mother used to help her in the shop. I also remember that the road just on the corner of Lodge road and Witton Road was where the bonfire was held to celebrate the...
  5. mollie cross

LEST WE FORGET

Can I add to the list. Able Seaman Sydney George Bromfield . MPK March 1942.
  6. mollie cross

The cane at school

Oh yes, we had a couple of quite sadistic female teachers. One of them had a particularly nasty habit of walking up and down the aisles between the desks and hitting any miscreants on the back of the hand with the edge of a ruler. I was on the receiving end a couple of times, usually for talking.
  7. mollie cross

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

My Father worked as a waiter there in the 20s,so thanks for all the info about it. I will steal some of the pics for my Family History records.:cupcake:
  8. mollie cross

Witton Road

Does anyone out there remember the Co Op on Witton Road? I recall as a kid being fascinated by the container for the money.THe cash was placed in the container,then the assistant would screw the lid on give the cord a yank it would go sailing across the shop to a cashier perched in a glass...
  9. mollie cross

HMS Vortigern

Hi Golfer, you can obtain info at this web address https://www.navyphotos.co.uk/vrtgrn1b.jpeg also uboat.net for the details about the sinking, date, place, etc. Hope this helps. Mollie.
  10. mollie cross

Sydney George Bromfield

Hi Golfer, glad to hear that your Grandad survived.My poor Uncle wasn't so fortunate.He had survived another sinking two months previously.
  11. mollie cross

HMS Vortigern

As an addtion to my 2009 post re HMS Vortigern, thanks to this wonderful site I was contacted some time ago by another relative of Sydney George Bromfield who has supplied me with lots of info and photos of Sydney. The best of all was he was able to send me a DVD taken from an old newsreel of...
  12. mollie cross

HMS Vortigern

Hi Karenza, I got a heads up re your posting about HMS Vortigern.I see your queries have been answered already. I do hope you will be able to find all the info you require. If I can be of any further help, please post me. Regards, Mollie Cross
  13. mollie cross

Fairgrounds

I so remember The Onion Fair on The Serpentine.It was one of the highlights of my childhood.I think it used to be in October or November.I lived on Witton Road at the time. droves of people would be making their way down the road,on their way back they would be carrying large stuffed toys which...
  14. mollie cross

Witton Road

Hi Jean, I remember a family of Martins, don't know if they are the same ones, it's not an uncommon name. there was a Billy , Jean, Joyce, Janet, & Jimmy. Their house was about midway between Lodge Road and Trinity road.
  15. mollie cross

Witton Road

Hi Bumbellini, did you know the Bunce Family? They lived about opposite Lodge Road. I lived further down, just a few houses up from Billy Hill's Newsagent, but I left to get Married in 58 so I was gone from there before you arrived.
  16. mollie cross

Witton Road

Hi Big Gee, I remember that model shop, there was also a newsagent, next door I think, there was a parrot on a perch in the shop, it used to shout ETHEL when you went in. Better than a bell on the door. trouble was us kids used to try to find excuses to go in, just to hear the parrot!
  17. mollie cross

Wilton Steet, Aston & Andover Place, Cowper Street U.D.

You could try the CWGC site , if you have the army number and name.
  18. mollie cross

Sacred Heart Catholic School Witton Road

Hi Gord, I used to go to the dances at the Sacred Heart, don't remember too many fights though, maybe I have a selective memory , and just remember the good times we had.Myself and my pal used to do the cloakroom, and help out with refreshments. My Husbands brothers' band used to play there.
  19. mollie cross

Hi Gord, mollie is my "nom de plume" as it were, I think you were a couple of years ahead of me. I started there in 1945. I vaguely remember miss Duck, Mr Mayall was my favourite teacher, he managed to maintain disipline with his personality,without recourse to the ruler and the cane , so...
  20. mollie cross

Hi Gord, yes I'm still around. I had a visit from some old school friends a couple of weeks ago, they told me that the school had been demolished, I was shocked. I havn't been back there for many years, so had no idea. The friends that I mentioned havn't got round to using a computer but I will...
Back