• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. V

birmingham 1969-73

Jax: Lovely that one of Mike's photos is so personal to you - and that you feature in Janet's Varna Road project. Living in London, I didn't get to the Ikon show, though the catalogue was stocked in the Tate Modern bookshop. May we have a link to your piece in the Guardian Weekender mag?
  2. V

birmingham 1969-73

Yes, well done, Mike. Am looking forward to that; your photos of 1970s Brum in decline are stunning. Is the magazine available online as well as in print?
  3. V

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Extraordinary, and slightly creepy - the decorations resemble bats hanging from the ceiling of a cave. Interesting how our tastes and aesthetic sense have changed through time.
  4. V

Memories of a Birmingham Musician (Drummer)!

Annie Nightingale introduced the band in which I was the drummer, on The Old Grey Whistle Test (BBC2) in 1981. Yet we didn't meet her; our slot was recorded at the 101 Club in Clapham, and Annie did the links in the studio. The band was a short-lived power-pop outfit called Nautyculture. Two...
  5. V

You are right about corns, OM. Reference to Bellamy & Wakefield's Cannicide on the internet: https://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Calendar_1910_v4_1000687363/17
  6. V

Yes, the meaning of 'canicide' (with one 'n') is logical, if alarming! Surely that is not what's referred to in the household remedy...?
  7. V

The Anchor.Bradford Street/Rea Sreet

https://www.daltonsbusiness.com/pubs-for-sale/birmingham-west-midlands-b5-6et-birmingham-west-midlands-uk/393397 Fancy running a pub in Brum? Camra reports that the lease of the Anchor, Bradford Street (Grade II listed) is up for grabs.
  8. V

Outside Toilet in Yard

Round about 1980 a friend of mine at Aston University lodged with an elderly couple at their terraced house in Small Heath; the WC was in the yard, with squares of torn-up newspaper hung on a nail. When my friend bought toilet paper, the old couple were offended.
  9. V

The buses in post 1778 are BMMO D.5 (with open platform) and possibly D.5B (with folding doors), with bodies built by Brush of Loughborough and first introduced in 1949-50. The bus in post 1773 is a BMMO D.7, built to a lightweight standard with body by Metro-Cammell, introduced in 1953. These...
  10. V

Looks like a vast crowd in the background, outside Dunn's. I wonder if it was a special occasion, or routine Christmas Schwepping.
  11. V

The old oak ;

The British Oak is on Camra's inventory of historic interiors. Built 1923-24 by James & Lister Lea, prolific pub architects, "in a 17th-century domestic style". Five public rooms include original features: oak panelling, fixed seating in public and lounge bars, terrazzo and parquet floors, and...
  12. V

Smallbrook Queensway

Viv - My guess is that the similarity with the Regent Street designed by John Nash lies in the generously broad thoroughfare making a graceful curve towards one end - St Martin's Circus in Brum and Piccadilly Circus in London. And with its straight alignment and huge department stores, is...
  13. V

Various pub photos

Interesting pics - superb etched glass in the windows of the George & Dragon, no. 20. The Woodman (Curzon Street / New Canal Street) used to be a regular haunt of mine in the early 1980s - as was The Old Union Mill (Heneage Street / Holt Street) and the Old Wharf (Oxford Street, now O'Rourke's)...
  14. V

New unseen photos with no locations

No additions to this thread for ages. Any more puzzles to be solved?
  15. V

birmingham 1969-73

No additions to this thread for ages. Any more gems from your archive, Mike?
  16. V

Great photo, Eddie. I never played Hayman drums; what were they like? I always thought they looked smart; strange that you still see old Ludwig and Gretsch kits around, but not Hayman. Or Slingerland, for that matter...
  17. V

Nice reminders of superb drummers, Eddie. Looking back and enjoying your previous posts - I remember the Drum City showroom on Shaftesbury Avenue; didn't Bob Henrit have a shop round the corner in the Charing Cross Road? Those Hayman drums with distinctive circular lugs - does anyone still...
  18. V

Book : Home Front Photos of Handsworth early 1980s Bishton & Reardon

Rediscovered on my shelves and recommended to the forum is 'Home Front', a collection of 160 photographs of Handsworth in the early 1980s by Derek Bishton and John Reardon. It has an introduction by Salman Rushdie and was published by Jonathan Cape in 1984; secondhand copies are available on...
  19. V

Worried about the Red Lion, Handsworth, and the Waterloo, Smethwick

It makes you want to weep with frustration, recalling the simple beauty of the ground-floor bar and the tiled extravagance of the basement grill room. The council should have stepped in to secure and maintain the property. Such an appalling waste...
  20. V

October 2015 edition #175 Mikejee’s article

Well done, Mike; I look forward to seeing this. For us exiles, does anyone have an address for mail order?
Back