• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Me Dads old sayings

There is no evidence that Napoleon said it, but it is attributed to him.
  2. J

Another pub fire

I see that the "owners" have now appealed against the decision to have them rebuild the Crooked House. Of course they have :rolleyes:. BBC Link below: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84dkv0ez8do
  3. J

Me Dads old sayings

A popular radio show in our house!
  4. J

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

It took me a while, but I knew that picture range a bell. It reminds me of this album cover from 1977 :):
  5. J

Its Banjo's birthday

6. J

Piccadilly Arcade (once Cinema)

Some further information and pictures on the cinema from the "cinema treasures" web-site below. I must admit that I hadn't previously known, that the arcade was on the site of a cinema (that explains the slant ;)), before I had read through this thread today. It just goes to show that thanks to...
  7. J

Birmingham hotels in the 1960s

The Stork Hotel Corporation Street (built 1883), which was demolished in the 1960s, to make way for the Priory Square & Ringway development:
  8. J

Its chocks2's birthday

9. J

Malcolm Stent

A regular on Radio WM too. Sad news.
  10. J

Its Annie Murray's birthday

Have a good one!
  11. J

its vivienne14s birthday

Sorry, I'm a day late.
  12. J

Birmingham in the 1980s

We had a mini bar in the first terraced house that we bought in the early 80s (that the previous owner had built) and one of those telephone tables with a seat included. Had some great fun with the cocktail shaker, some very strange mixes on our return from the pub. :laughing: I doubt that we...
  13. J

Birmingham in the 1980s

YouTube and TV channels have sitcoms available from the period, that also provide a fair reflection of how the inside of many properties looked back then. You might also find some of them funny Harry, but don't risk telling anyone if you do. ;)
  14. J

Birmingham in the 1980s

This was a 3-bedroomed home in Hillaries Road, Erdington. It appeared to have been left untouched since the 70s (photographed, when put up for sale this year). Although, I guess you may already be aware of this one.
  15. J

Electric Cinema Station Street

As Mike has said @ #26 it does seem the Old Rep may escape the fate of most of Station Street. Flatpack (an arts organisation) have commented upon the closure of The Electric "despite healthy attendances" and has referred to an attempt to have it listed, along with the petition. Link Below...
  16. J

Electric Cinema Station Street

I would guess that sadly, they would look to demolish the row, which includes the old rep Lyn. A couple of my friends often popped into that cinema and enjoyed the comfortable seating. That area of the city, along with others has been allowed to decline for some years and haven't had the money...
  17. J

Perry Common Comprehensive School 1964 to 1969

No Alfred, I went to Slade Road School. Built in 1903 and still in use today, I went to the 100th celebrations and it had hardly changed. They built them to last back then. All the very best.
  18. J

Perry Common Comprehensive School 1964 to 1969

North Birmingham Academy (previously College High and Perry Common Comprehensive), very nice, but obviously no expense was spared:
Back