• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Worst car of the 1960's

Hi maypolebaz, if you had that Vogue Estate now it would fetch big money they are few and far between. My Vogue as only done 32.000 miles it belonged to a doctor who never took it out of Cornwall.
  2. C

Worst car of the 1960's

Talking of cars of the 60's I have a 1966 Singer Vogue, I tell you, when I first had it it brought back memories of my first cars, no power steering, no servo brakes, talk about thinking ahead you have to start standing on the brakes well before you intend to stop !! It spends the the winter...
  3. C

Steam and Commercial Vehicles

Hi Guys Davenports Brewery on Bath Row had a fleet of steam trucks, no idea when this was but I was born in 1937 so it could have been any time during that period, they also had horse drawn delivery drays, I know that was in the 1940's because I used to walk the horses down to their stables in...
  4. C

Rootes Birmingham

Going to visit my sister in Brum next month, lived in a number of places over the years, but always look on going to Brum as going home, visiting the Classic Motor Show at the NEC whilst i'm there then back to Cornwall.
  5. C

Rootes Birmingham

Hi Lyn. When I've worked out how to put photos on the site I'll post them. Singer's been put to bed for the winter, she'll be out first sunny day in the spring.
  6. C

Worst car of the 1960's

Glad to see my 1966 Singer Vogue isn't on the list
  7. C

Rootes Birmingham

I am the proud owner of a 1966 Singer Vogue, 34.000 miles from new registered in London but never left Cornwall, I am only the second owner, first owner was a Doctor in Redruth, he passed away in 1975, his wife locked it away in the garage , I came across it last year and spent two weeks getting...
  8. C

Occupations That Have Faded Away

I think these modern vehicles lull these drivers into a false sense of security, I drove mainly AEC chassis coaches with a 'Crash Box' I travel with National Express quite a bit and the driver just seems to sit there whilst the coach does all the work, I would love to put one of them behind the...
  9. C

Still got my badge when I passed as a driver for the Midland Red in 1960. DD52139
  10. C

Birds Eye View Of Birmingham

I now live in Newquay Cornwall,there are quite a few Brummies living in this part of the world, I must say, the Brummies down here are glad to be Brummies and not afraid to show it. We get many Brummie holiday makers during the summer, when I hear that accent I always say 'I bet your a Brummie'...
  11. C

I worked for Radley Motors and we often worked that prank when we had an OAP trip, and would you believe it worked sometimes.
  12. C

Davenports Brewery

Does anyone remember when Davenports delivered their beer by horse and cart? we used to stand outside the brewery on Bath Rowe and walk the horses down Cregoe Street to the stables in Bell Barn Road,our highlight was helping to trim the horses up for May Day.
  13. C

I drove for the Midland Red in the 60's, when the one man operation came in, I was driving form Walsall to Birmingham, a man gets on and said 'It says Walsall on the front' I said it says Jacobs Bisquits on the side but I don't sell em' I was up before the superintendent next day!!!
  14. C

Birds Eye View Of Birmingham

Brilliant video, watched it from my home in Cornwall, can't wait for November when I go and see my sister in Brum , feeling home sick again!!!!
  15. C

St Thomas's Club Washington Street/ridley Street

Hi George 1468, you must have been one of the 'Crew' to have been on so many trips, my mates and I only went on a couple, organised by the Federation of Boys Clubs, I had lots of photos of our trips on the barge, but some low life broke into our house and took a briefcase with all my photos in...
  16. C

Hi Phil, yes, that's St Thomas's Boys Club in Washington Street, it's a great pity there are no such places around today.
  17. C

Many thanks for your reply, giving it further thought, I'm sure we didn't leave from Gas Street but further of Brum cold have beeen Kings Norton, I think you are the only person I've come across that remembers the Norman Chamberlain.
  18. C

Cregoe Street

It was earlier called St Thomas's Boys Club run by an elderly gentleman called Ernest Mason, he was always in and out of St Thomas School, I went to the club late 40s and went on holidays organised by the Birmingham Federation of Boys Clubs.
  19. C

Cregoe Street

I'm pretty sure this was called the Meeting Room down an entry in the lower half of Cregoe Street, used to go to Sunday school there in mid 40s
  20. C

Cregoe Street

The first photo is of a butchers shop corner of Cregoe Street and Grt Colmore Street, we called it the Butchers Corner where I used to hang about with Brian Burden, Denis Beard,Eric Shaw and others, second photo of Bradshaws we used to hang about on the other side of the road, corner of Latimer...
Back