• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. cookie273uk

its jayells birthday

Happy Birthday Judy. Eric
  2. cookie273uk

its mikejees birthday

Happy Birthday Mike. Eric
  3. cookie273uk

ITS TINPOTS BIRTHDAY

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY. ERIC
  4. cookie273uk

The Old Green Man

This is one of the many paintings I have painted of the Ye Old Green Man/Lad in the Lane, I don't know what happened to it though ! Eric
  5. cookie273uk

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

Ceool, I think the Happy Trooper was closed because of drug dealing, not 100% sure though. Eric
  6. cookie273uk

Electric motor assisted Bicycles (E-bikes)

Here in Chelmsley Wood E scooters are a menace, the are mostly youngsters on both pavement and road. You can be on the pavement and they come from behind you being electric you cannot hear them. Eric
  7. cookie273uk

GET WELL SOON ERIC....(cookie273uk)

Thank you all for your kind 'get well' messages, Doctor is convinced I will fully recover in about a week if I keep taking the anti biotics and taking it easy. I am fully looked after by my family particularly my daughter Jayne . Eric
  8. cookie273uk

RIP MAURICE (sospiri)

S0 sad to hear of Maurice's passing such a nice person. Eric
  9. cookie273uk

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

A painting of the pub based on the black and white pic in post #35 therefore a bit of guess work in the colours. I have done numerous paintings of this hostelry as I have visited it numerous times when I lived in Erdington (1961 to 1987). Eric
  10. cookie273uk

Hall Of Memory

Another painting , one of many I have done of Hall of Memory, a lovely subject. Eric
  11. cookie273uk

Starting work at Fourteen

I left school at 14 in 1944, it was at the GEC Witton, Electric Avenue in the drawing office, 10 months before the war in Europe ended. I was only there 11 months and got a job at Hercules cycles in Despatch department. Happy days. Eric
  12. cookie273uk

Crossroads programme

I always thought the studio was Aston Cross (the old Astoria cinema), I must be thinking of something else ! Eric
  13. cookie273uk

Has the site been down?

It's surprising how you miss the Forum when it's not available. Eric
  14. cookie273uk

No birds in my garden....

I live in Chelmsley Wood by Meriden Park. I have a small tree in my Garden full off sparrows (counted 19 yesterday) which I feed with bread and seed every day, this attracts magpies, pigeons and crows. Occasionally see the odd blue tit and robin. Also loads of Sea Gulls
  15. cookie273uk

First Driving Lesson

I learnt to drive when I started work for PO Telephones (now BT) in 1956 after leaving the RAF, they had their own driving instructor and test examiner, I learnt in a Morris Z type van (later replaced by the Morris Minor van) the vehicle I would later be using as a telephone engineer. Eric
  16. cookie273uk

Postie Jim

Happy Birthday Jim. Eric
  17. cookie273uk

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

Spargone, no rear turret either, that's where we kept our toilet (flights were 10 to 12 hours at survey height 22000 ft) I had the additional job of replacing film cartridges in the 2 cameras (one photographing the terrain the other the instruments) about every hour, also passing food and drinks...
  18. cookie273uk

Memories of the Avro Lancaster

here are a few pics out of my album of peace time lancs on 82 Squadron in Africa 1950, I was a wireless operator on TW705
  19. cookie273uk

it's cookie273uk birthday today

Thank you all for Birthday wishes and mwOmjm ' happy birthday Eric', once learnt never forgotten. Eric
  20. cookie273uk

Telegraphist, telegraph operator

mwOnjm, I served on a peace time Lancaster Sqdn 1949-51 and they had conventional morse keys so must have changed after the war. Eric
Back