• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. a s wood

Ring of Bells, Aston

Jean I will phone you My Mother lived in what was part of the Ring of Bells pub in Park Road Aston. There is no doubt at all about this. The cafe and Moms house were the pub. It was right opposite Aston Church. The house was the pubs smoke room. The front windows of the house had inside...
  2. a s wood

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Peter its 10512 on medal card W Matthews
  3. a s wood

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Peter, my Great Uncle William Matthews was in the 2nd Btn
  4. a s wood

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Rita they were there when I was too. Mrs Browning and Mr Davies were also there when Mom went. I loved that school.
  5. a s wood

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I went to Marsh Hill Open Air School in Erdington. It was a day school, and so lovely. I enjoyed every minute I spent there. We were all so well looked after, I always felt lucky to have those 2 years there. We used to have breakfast on arrival (the food was great,) wash and teeth clean after...
  6. a s wood

Bracebridge Street

Hi Lyn who were your family at No 71? Did you know the Hosgood family? I am sure that their house was the one just before that big entry to the right of the factory.
  7. a s wood

Things you said when you was a kid

You'll cop it !!!
  8. a s wood

Central Fire Station Hq

Thank you Amanda
  9. a s wood

Central Fire Station Hq

Can anyone tell me what "sticky" means when written by a post? regards Amanda
  10. a s wood

Nansen Road Alum Rock

Thanks Phil. That was quick !!
  11. a s wood

Nansen Road Alum Rock

Does anyone have any photos of Nansen Rd please? I have looked at the old threads but the photos have gone many thanks Amanda
  12. a s wood

St Saviours Church Hockley

what a great photo many thanks Astoness
  13. a s wood

Royal Warwicks 1st July 1916

It amazes me that all the displays ever mention are the soldiers that died. What about the ones that survived and suffered for the rest of their lives. That too was an enormous sacrifice. My 1/8th Warwicks Grandad was one of those few Somme survivors. He went on to survive Passchedaele too. He...
  14. a s wood

Millington family - Ladywood

Billy Millington was part of our Dads family. I believe he was the son of Dads Gt Uncle. He kept pubs and held boxing matches around Birmingham. I do have some more info on him if anyone is interested let me know and I will dig it out. Amanda
  15. a s wood

Spaghetti Junction

My Grandfather commited suicide in his house in Park Rd when they wanted to move him. He lived right over the road from the church.
  16. a s wood

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

Dad said that his sister used to go to get old coats from that market in Gosta Green to make the boys trousers with.
  17. a s wood

Aston brook tavern powell st aston

ASTON BROOK TAVERN Does anyone have any information or photos of this pub? My father lived there as a young boy when it was no longer a pub. He told me that all the woodwork for the bar etc was still there. The windows on the doors still had the name etched on and at that time still looked like...
  18. a s wood

Are These Your Books ??

send me your address and you can have the books with pleasure regards Amanda
  19. a s wood

Williams Clive Private 57334 1/8 Royal Warwickshire Regiment

My Grandfather was also one of that 22. He survived Passchedaele as well.
  20. a s wood

Pubs Of The Past

My Father as a young boy, lived in what was the Aston Brook Tavern in Powell St Aston. Several families had rooms in this pub. I have found some documents relating to this pub and its landlord on the internet but no photo other than this one years later when it looks like a factory of some sort...
Back