• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Sheldon Bombing

Coventry Road Sheldon looking from the boundary towards Elmdon. The houses on the right are on the Tigers Island Estate.
  2. B

Sheldon Bombing

Hello Everyone, The Coventry Road was made into dual carriageway from the bottom of Wagon Hill presumably to relieve the traffic on the Hill probably when the bus's were introduced before the war. The new road on the left going to town was called New Coventry Road, I've attached some pictures...
  3. B

Sheldon Bombing

Hi Ian, Mr Barlow was the Head all through the war, his office was one of the few remaining rooms on the first floor, he used to let me help him construct beehives in the lunch break, which he placed out on the temporary roof for honey. I think I can remember Mr Gregory, Miss Onions of course...
  4. B

Sheldon Bombing

Silvermere Road was not surfaced then, just a footpath and kerbstones, the road was just stone hardcore. The houses on Berryfield Road only reached to Silvermere, otherwise just the rough road, Mapledene was just a rough road. All of the Cranes Park Estate was completed before the beginning of...
  5. B

Sheldon Bombing

Hi Ian, I watched Silvermere Rd. School burn from my bedroom window in Normanton Avenue, I was about five and it was my school. Almost all of the upper floor and roof was destroyed by fire caused by inscendary bombs and after temporary repairs the school continued to operate with just the ground...
  6. B

Lippitt Family of Franchise Street

Dear Jo, I have replied to your email to the address from which it was sent, have you received them? Brian Mann
  7. B

Royal Warwickshire Regiment.WW1

Private Leonard Lippitt 3790, 7th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died on 16th November 1916 Age 17. I have only just found out about my unknown uncle and would welcome any other information on his service.
  8. B

Lippitt Family of Franchise Street

Hello June,My name is Brian Mann, my mother was Ethel Lippitt who was the youngest in the first family. Muriel, Donald and Doreen were of the second marriage and their mother was Ellen (ne Smith). I knew Donald and Doreen very well, I am four years younger. Ihave a good family history going and...
Back