• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; Hello, Yes my dad would have been there in the 40s he was at Raybones till the late 60s. His job was a precision Rule Maker. My nan, uncle, auntie, and sister-in-laws father were there as well. There surnames were Alexander, Tandy, Burns...
  2. C

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; I remember these well my dad use to make them and mark them up. Carole
  3. C

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; Hi My dad was a rule maker among other skilled jobs he did at Raybones. In 1984 there was a book published written by Douglas J Hallam titled "The First 200 Years 1784-1984 very interesting if you can get a copy.
  4. C

Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers

can i ask was your mothers name Connie
  5. C

14th Bn, Royal Warks Regt (1st Birmingham Bn) - service of Pte Joseph W Marsden

Hi Diane, St.Johns Museum in warwick is home to the Royal Warwick Regimental Museum. Telephone 01926-412132 or 412021. There website is www.warwickshire.gov.uk/museum. They are closed on Mondays. Casey
  6. C

14th Bn, Royal Warks Regt (1st Birmingham Bn) - service of Pte Joseph W Marsden

Hi Diane https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php? If you go to this forum and register with them the people are very helpful. Also if you contact the base of the Royal Warwicks in Warwick. I cant find there number at the moment i shall look or it and post it onto you. Another site...
  7. C

Hurst Lane, Castle Bromwich

Hi Gill Havent heard from you for a while hope you ok.I viewed the web link you posted on forum.Ah some memories there. Did you pick up thread from someone on forum to do with lil swinbourne. Carole
  8. C

High Street, Aston

Re: from 6ways to Burlington st I noticed this reply you have posted about the shops on high street aston.I have been researching my g grandfather Richard George Poole because it is said that he owned 4 shops one in Whitehead Rd Aston, one in Station Rd Handsworth,and one in High Street...
  9. C

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

Hi Clenentine, Whats it like there now it has been years since ive been around there.Mom worked on the bacon counter at the far end of the shop among other duties there,she must of been there 10 years plus.I remember her being there when i was in Junior school then the shop closed i think it was...
  10. C

Nursery Rhymes And Songs

Thanks for the info Alf. I thought this may of been the answer. Casey
  11. C

Nursery Rhymes And Songs

Hi All Does anyone know the origin of the song "The Big Ship sails on the Alley Alley O. Regards Casey.
  12. C

Cemetery

Hi Glenn If you phone witton cemetery or yardley they will probably help you with one search they did for me last year. Casey
  13. C

Hi Janet My sister remembers being at Longmeadow with you and would like to be in touch with you her name was Kathleen Alexander.
  14. C

Hi clementine, In your email you mentioned Paul Smith.I was at longmeadow later but new of him and his family through my mom who worked at the co-op in Kitsland road.
  15. C

Hillstone Infants and Junior School

I attended Hillstone when Miss Clay was Head and i can remember Miss Yardley and a Mrs Edwards who was a music teacher when i was in reception school.There was also one of the dinner ladies called Mrs pippin. When we had our Christmas Party we all had to take a dish and spoon with our names on.
  16. C

Re: memories Hi Sue When you left Longmeadow were there some girls who played a prank and tied rope around the staff door and then went and rang the fire alarm.They were then expelled on the last day and had to leave school premises.I remember Mr Bailey,Miss Jones,Mr Babbington Mrs Young,loved...
  17. C

Hi Kate, Have you looked in any by-gone birmingham books.I have seen a picture in one of them when we had a very bad winter many years ago,but im almost sure ive seen a picture of the top of hurst lane when the old out-door had gone and new businesses started to open.I was thinking if the photo...
  18. C

Hi terry, Do you remember the name of the garage or any persons working there.One of our neighboghs worked there and we just cant remember his name we can only remember the son was called ian.
  19. C

Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers

Re: Richards Of Aston Pork Butchers - other butchers in the area dear Anton, The other day i received a message from the forum from you regarding your Uncle Arthur.I dont know if this came to me by mistake.I was curious cause my mom worked at Richards.Was it another butchers you refer to.My mom...
  20. C

old evening mail pics.....

I loved looking at your pictures.My moms house was one of those that was bombed.I will show her these when i see her the weekend.
Back