• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. zena58

40 Bartholmew Street 1891

hi i have some one on the 1891 census living at this address with her mother and siblings but there are loads more people living there too was it a work house or something similar please??? zena
  2. zena58

warstone lane

hi, just a quick question please. great grand father samuel smith was cremated, his baby daughter elsie alma may smith was buried in warstone lane . could his ashes have been buried with, or scattered with elsie, and would gt gran have to have permission thanks zena
  3. zena58

Women’s Land Army

hi i'm not sure this is the right place but are there records for the land army girls if so where can i find them. my aunt, i have always been told, was in the land army. but doing the math, she would only have been able to join in 1945 as she was born in 1928 and i got the idea she did it...
  4. zena58

looking for any record of service william henry holmes

hi a lot of you will remember the posties plaque from lyns quest. i am now looking for any service record of henry james holme's brother, william henry holmes. i have birth and death certificates for him 1887-1939 and have him on census records, i have him on electoral roles at his parents home...
  5. zena58

freeth street ladywood

does any one have a map or picture of freeth street please my grandad was born at number 80 in 1902 william lewis. father edwin wallace lewis, mother elizabeth thanks zena:butterfly:
  6. zena58

winson green

hi all, i know this sounds a bit odd, but has anyone got a picture of the area in the prison where the prisoners were buried please. gt gt grand father's remains were moved there from worcester jail, when renovations made thanks zena
  7. zena58

The Abbey St Thomas's Grammar/secondary Erdington

hi my dad was born in 1933 which makes him 81 he went to the abbey erdington he wonders if there are any of his class mates on here his name is louis lewis he lived at 2 dulwich road kingstanding hopefully zena
  8. zena58

william withey in from the cold

searching for members of my family. i found that my great aunt Lily H Holmes married this man. who was killed in WW1. i found him on the roll of honor and his service records, but couldnt find him on the cwgc. i was pointed in the direction of the IN FROM THE COLD project and after quite a...
  9. zena58

is there or was there such a road as buxford road

hi looking at my 2 times great grandmothers death certificate it says she dies at 74 buxford road handsworth birmingham is there such a road as i cant find it on google thanks zena:fox:
  10. zena58

family rumor

hi my dad says that his nan had two shops. one on the corner of northbrook street and dudley road and the other just up the road from it on dudley road. he says he used to go to them, so it must have been around 1937-40. how can i find out about them. his nan and grandads names were alice...
  11. zena58

Dawson Philip born 1857 birmingham

i have philip dawson born 1857 birmingham and a possible death 1912 walsall union infirmary no family on death cert just coroner he was in a coma from a brain tumour age 55 it says unknown taken to infirmary nothing known about him he had previously said he was from birmingham there is a philip...
  12. zena58

looking for a burial

hi any help given will gratefully recieved sidney ernest lewis died 24/1/1898 at his home in freeth street age 3 years parents edwin wallace lewis and elizabeth would anyone be able to tell me where he was buried or where he could have been buried i'm not sure where the nearest church would...
  13. zena58

Wynn, masonic jeweller, grandads trade

hi my grandad william lewis was a masonic jeweller, working for a company called wynns(i think). from after ww2 till he retired, he worked with silver and gold, but i dont think they were in the jewelley quarter. does any one know anything about them and what they did, and do they still trade...
  14. zena58

the globe inn holt street aston

hi does anyone know if the globe inn holt street aston still exists please is it the gosta green now???? zena :peaceful:
  15. zena58

67 summerhill

hello i am looking for 2 children born to my family(christian names not known) but they died between the marriage of their parents and the 1911 census problem. Surname the dreaded SMITH i have found an annie elizabeth who was baptised with mother unknown father mark address 67 summerhill...
  16. zena58

Smith ruth 1911

hi is there anyone who can find my nan on the 1911 census her name was ruth smith. born 9/2/1905 back 87 george street west all saints birmingham. parents alice may smith nee townsend and samuel smith.married 1901st marks birmingham i think i have found her parents but she isnt with them i...
  17. zena58

Alice Mary smith, midwife

hi would anyone know anything about alice may smith. 71 marroway street. she was the local midwife who qualified in 1921. anything would be good thanks zena
Back