• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Saltley & Alum Rock

Thank you Covroad i used to go and watch my brother play football there his team was Rockwood Albion.
  2. B

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Covroad have been following these posts as i lived in Reginald Road and used to play in Adderley park as a kid late 50's early 60's my school was St Saviour's on the Rock and i played football there some times against the local schools like Adderley school although our home ground was Burney...
  3. B

The Pedley Family

Thank you for getting back to me i'm glad you managed to connect with your family i'm sure Mom would of been interested in your journey all the best.
  4. B

The Pedley Family

Hi catmadjax have just noticed your post forgive me if i have the wrong family but are you referring to the tragic fire in Adams Street if so my mothers family lived in court 17 Adams St and she told me about the fire and how they had to evacuate the court and remembered the sight of the bodies...
  5. B

Saltley & Alum Rock

Thank's to both Sue and Viv about Saltley market and the mention of St Saviours school i was a pupil there from 1957 till 1964 was the market opposite Reginald road i had moved to castle vale by the time the photo and details of the fire were published . Is their anyone watching this thread...
  6. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Thank you for the reply, yes i remember Porters we lived just down from the shop on the other side of the road Kensington Place it was up the entry our house was in behind the roadside houses we used porters for that last minute groceries that mom forgot when shopping on the Rock she used to...
  7. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Graham , our paths my have crossed at cubs i think i joined about 58 -59 where on the Rock were you living i was born in Reginald Rd in 52 and moved to Wright Rd in 57 my wife and i will be celebrating 50 years next June 2023 Cheers Blueboy.
  8. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Thank you for coming back to me. My aunt and uncle lived in Bingly Ave just off Bankdale Rd and when we visited them we would always use that chippy Les Bishop knows us Hirsts very well we haven't spoke on the forum for a while hope he is still following this thread must contact him. Any other...
  9. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Patricia, Was your grandparents chip shop opposite Bankdale Rd and would you have come into contact with the Bishop family in Phillimore road I know the Havelock tavern this was just over the road from my aunt and uncles house, we lived in Wright Rd.
  10. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi Patricia i have many memories of the village we would go with mom and dad some Saturday evenings during the summer months and sometimes on a Sunday dinnertime i remember on most Saturdays the cockle man would show up and we would have a bag of prawns or cockles that came in a waxed envelope...
  11. B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi everyone could you please help me out i'm looking for the names of any cafe or coffee shop in Alum Rock Rd in 1948 49 and 50 this would cover the Gate to Woolies i am trying to find out where my inlaws met , my mother in law at the time who was working in a cafe was Freda Dorothy Lewis she...
Back