• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

" A GREAT SUBSTITUTE " I think it would be reasonably fair to say that during the 1930's period many Birmingham children did not have the slightest chance of a holiday " at the sea-side ". So the " bucket and spade " , the bare foot play on the beach and the " paddles in the sea " was not to be...
  2. R

" Strip Down ". Period : 1946 I recall, for a fair number of " kids / young men ", that this was the period of that year when they returned to their home made Cycle Speedway tracks to tidy up the racing cicuit and begin practicing for the coming new season of competitions. Stripping their bikes...
  3. R

EXCITEMENT and ANTICIPATION again. A scenario that I guess never changes. Take little Charlie and his older brother Jack ( both in bed a bit early on Christmas Eve ). Little Charlie : " How does Father Christmas get down our chimney Jack ? " Jack : " Cus he's got magic that makes him small...
  4. R

Been thinking about, as a child, how I remember the prevailing atmosphere as we entered into World War Two. I recall, even as a kid, observing the " grown ups " concern about what the future might hold for their families, their friends and the country as a whole. Even we kids realised that the "...
  5. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Decided we are going to have a go at doing our own iced Xmas cake this year. Thought it might be worth a crack at trying to do some home-made decoration " tops " to put on the icing. So far the bits of paper, cardboard and coloured pencils are working out reasonably well. Still needs an extra...
  6. R

. FALLEN LEAVES. Period : 1943 ish. I can't recall our exact ages when we kids began to appreciate the late Autumn season, but there came a time when we started to find some new found interests and experiences as this end of year period set in. Out and about we were noticing that the air was...
  7. R

GIVING THE STREET GAMES A MISS. Period : 1930's >>>? Often, we kids would be looking for an alternative to playing out on the street. What better few hours spent than in one of the purpose built " childrens equipped play area's " created by the Birmingham Council planners. These dedicated...
  8. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Bishopmate. With reference to your post#35 . By more or less pure chance, whilst scanning through some of the " TV " channels, I realised that there are a few channels dedicated to CRAFTS, CRAFT PRODUCTS and occassional CRAFT DEMONSTRATIONS. There's a channel titled " CREATE AND CRAFT ". This...
  9. R

THE SCHOOL PERIOD MUSIC LESSON. ( 1942 ish ). I don't know how other schools went about this lesson but I recall at our school each class had it's own music period once a week and it was held in the schools main hall. The layout in the hall was set with rows of chairs in semi-circular pattern...
  10. R

Windows 10

Message to oldMohawk. Thank you for your advice on the " Hobbies " thread ( post #30 ) regarding the continuous error signal coming up on my iPad whilst trying to upload photos onto the forum. The error statement indicated " The upload file is too large ". Cutting a long story short, I have not...
  11. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Vivienne. Thank you for your response. I have had some further tries using your instructions, but to no avail unfortunately. What I keep ending up with each time is a screen message that informs me : The following error occurred. The uploaded file...
  12. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Tried every but whichway to post a photo relating to the previous post but again the forum and my little IPad won't join up.
  13. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Referring to " bellabees " post # 22 and thinking about something that came to my attention recently. It was when one of the family lady members began looking around for a useful hobby and social combination. A visit to a local " Craft " shop caught her attention and started the ball rolling...
  14. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Looking for or seeking a " hobby ". Maybe, " selecting " a suitable hobby is probably the main stumbling block to getting involved in a potentially rewarding pastime. If this is the case maybe it's worth considering some of the natural little skills that you might have a " leaning to ". Maybe...
  15. R

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Prior to making this post I have browsed the " forum " threads. I'm wondering if a dedicated thread on " hobbies " might be appropriate. I'm thinking of the folk who might be searching for something useful and /or creative that they might be able to take an interest in and up that good day...
  16. R

Photo appertaining to the previous post : Where the old hut used to stand and the pavement area where the kids used to meet up for their chats and get-togethers.
  17. R

It's 1942 ish. It's Kingstanding. It's the Kings Road near the junction with Harringay Road. It's night time. It's wartime and the ' blackout ' is fully operational. It was a small wooden hut type building that stood just off the main road. It invited anyone in for a chat and a cup of tea. It...
  18. R

Thanks ' Smudger ' . Felt good to get back into contact. Thanks ' farmerdave ' . Just tried your " add photo " suggestion. Great. Worked a treat.
  19. R

Summer season ( fun in the Sun ). As this part of the season began to emerge children were able to reintroduce into their play and outdoor activities some of the advantages offered by this lovely warm period. One of the advantages I recall was ( with our friends ) being able to sit out on the...
  20. R

A period of opportunity. Thinking back to a ' time span ' that seemed to provide the perfect progression and opportunities for the young ones ( particularly in areas like Birmingham ). Looking at the sequence, it seemed to compile as follows : (1) The final school leaving age for most young...
Back