• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Pitsford Street

Hi Viv. Yes it was pretty horrendous, it seemed wherever my sister and I went the bombs were sure to follow, first was in George Street West (St. Peters Church, well, in the road outside), a massive Hole filled with water when we came out next morning, then Clissold Street. Best of all was when...
  2. B

Pitsford Street

Hi all, Regarding the damage to Pitsford Street Railway wall, this may well be due to a LandMine obliterating Brookfields School in Ellen Street during the war, I was in the Railway shelter just up the road when we had a a really heavy nights bombing, my father worked on Hockley Goods depot and...
  3. B

Pitsford Street

4. B

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Re: raybones rulers and tapes and tools ;of hockley ; Hi Casey, Would your Dad have worked in Wilmot Street, and what years did he work there, I worked there in the early Forties and used to file the Brass ends plus the centre brasses, I cannot remember the Man's name that I worked for but...
  5. B

ww1 info request

mhemery- Have contacted the number that was quoted and they gave another number for Worcester Regiment Museum which is 01905 721982 in case anyone else wants a contact. They were very helpful but it seems that I have much more information on my father than they have but they are going to go back...
  6. B

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Villaj - Have contacted the number you gave who gave me another number to ring which is 01905 721982 this is the Worcester Regiment Museum; they were very very helpful but it seems that I have more information on my father than they have but could not help me on his 'Illness' although they are...
  7. B

ww1 info request

mhemery- Have contacted the number that was quoted and they gave another number for Worcester Regiment Museum which is 01905 721982 in case anyone else wants a contact. They were very helpful but it seems that I have much more information on my father than they have but they are going to go back...
  8. B

ww1 info request

mhemery- Thank you very much for that information, have again written it down and will put it in my Fathers war record.
  9. B

ww1 info request

I wonder if someone could help me, a while ago someone wrote about the Wocestershire Regiment in 1914-18 war and I asked a question as what it meant being dischaged in 1916 with 'Sickness' an answer came back to ring a certain number, i wrote it down but cannot now find it, if the person who...
  10. B

Hingeston Street

Hi Cookie273uk, You asked where the name of Hingeston Street came from, I replied 5 days ago a theory from Carl Chinn, as I have seen no reply from you I can only assume that you have not yet read the reply
  11. B

Hingeston Street

Hi cookie273uk, Carl Chinn has written in "Streets of Brum" Part Two a Theory of Hingeston Street by Dave Morris - just in case you have not got the book I will quote the section "Dave Morris, now living in Southampton, was raised in Brookfields and recalls that many of the yards in Hingeston...
  12. B

Hingeston Street

If anyone is interested in books and Photos refering to Hingestion Street I would suggest "A trip down the Flats" by Garry Smith: "Winson Green To Brookfields through time" by Ted Rudge: Winson Green and Brookfields by Peter Drake.
  13. B

Hi VillaJ, Tks for reply I will try that number that you kindly gave, they may give me the same reply but will try anyway, tks again.
  14. B

Hi Villaj, I hope I'm not butting in but as you are talking about the 2n Bn. Worcester Regiment but I wondered if you could answer a question for me; my father served in the 3rd bn Worcester and was posted to Rouen on 17th August 1914, was discharged on 1st October, 1915 as sick but does not...
  15. B

All Saints Primary School

Carolina, Sorry for delay in replying, for some reason your reply never came up on my e-mail or else I missed it, saw it last night but did not have time to reply and thanks for that picture of the school, how I remember those Iron steps, Johnny Roberts class was right at the end overlooking All...
  16. B

Airships over Birmingham ?

Just noticed I'm posted as a Novice Brummie, how long do you have live in Brum before you become a fully fledged one, now nearly 86 years and have lived in Brum all the time except for Service time, I'll try to live until a 100+1day and see if I then qualify (no sarcasm meant, just joking)
  17. B

Wasn't the R101 the one that crashed after exploding in flames?
  18. B

Amazing Yes but very frightening, having bombs dropping all around you no matter in which shelter you were in, where ever you were and seeing the devastation next morning, I was in St Peters Church early in the blitz when a bomb was dropped right outside, came out to see a great crater full of...
  19. B

Hi Joseph, Talking of the Airship, I well remember it, I lived in Brookfields (between Spring hill and Winson Green) at the time and the next door neighbour shouted for me to come out and I saw it as it crossed over the factories, I looked it up when I wrote my story of life in Brookfields and...
  20. B

All Saints Primary School

Hi carolina, Tks for reply, cannot believe Miss Cole has been at All Saints so long, she was there in the late 30's, I was there from 1933 to 1939, yes she was the dreaded Miss Cole then in her all black outfit, was old Mr Roberts there in your time also? I was evacuated to Monmouthshire came...
Back