• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. brummy-lad

Wainwright Street Aston

Aerial views of Wainwright Street (1952)
  2. brummy-lad

Wainwright Street Aston

Other photos
  3. brummy-lad

Sherlock Street

An aerial view from 1935 showing the approximate position of No. 57
  4. brummy-lad

Pubs in Aston

Another image of it.
  5. brummy-lad

George Terrace, Nechells

A lovely discovery, yes it's amazing what crops up when you start delving into family history, of course pre-1960s family normally lived in the same town and in many cases in the same street. In my case I had 6 relations living within 100 yards of each other. It was common in my childhood to...
  6. brummy-lad

Brearley Street

On the 1881 census the house numbers are consecutive and the listing is: 307half Summer Lane, then Brearley Street 51 to 62 (consecutive), Court14 (11 houses), 63 to 65, Court 15 (5 houses), 66, Court 16 (6 houses), 67, 68, Court 17 (4 houses), 69, 70. Court 14 is fairly unique as it has 11...
  7. brummy-lad

Aston Interactive Map

Hi AMW, I can't see any problem if it's for your own personal use, if you do use it elsewhere then please acknowledge Birmingham History Forum as the source.
  8. brummy-lad

Upper Trinity Street

An aerial view of Upper Trinity Street (1937) and Map (1950s)
  9. brummy-lad

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I think this is Harold Spalding St. Swithin (coffee shop) in Kelly's 1955 at 272 Hamstead Road
  10. brummy-lad

Sycamore Road Aston

This shows No. 17 from the other direction.
  11. brummy-lad

Sycamore Road Aston

I think No.17 is the house just behind the Ford Corsair, there is a gap on the left of it. haven't seen the 'todays' view, I thought these houses were all long gone.
  12. brummy-lad

McAllister family

I found this earlier for John McAlister, he was due to become a crew member in Liverpool but apparently didn't join the ship, I don't know if it's relevant (only one 'l' in the surname)
  13. brummy-lad

Sycamore Road Aston

I'm fairly certain this image shows No. 17
  14. brummy-lad

Sycamore Road Aston

Hi Lyn, I'm attempting to put numbers to the houses, this is the first, some have the house numbers in the file name.
  15. brummy-lad

Sycamore Road Aston

1950s map.
  16. brummy-lad

Upper Webster Street

There are several references to a John and Thomas McAlister (spelt with just 1 'l'). Please start a thread as suggested above and I will list them.
  17. brummy-lad

Lennox Street

Have you seen this image which shows No. 41, not a brilliant shot of it admittedly. More images of Lennox Street at www.leroux.co.uk/aston
  18. brummy-lad

Ghost signs of Birmingham

I'm not certain but I think there could be more than one ghost sign.
  19. brummy-lad

Beak Street - late !9th century

An aerial view of Beak Street from 1935.
  20. brummy-lad

MERRY CHRISTMAS BHF 2022

Brilliant video Lyn and yes I can relate to the fact that there was no room to have a table that the family could sit around to eat Christmas dinner.
Back