• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

The diaries sound interesting but I'm scared of the ghost of Miss Pinches who haunts every child's dreams .
  2. M

Birchfield Secondary Modern School

I remember the music room as Arthollins says , tiered seating rising to the back . We never went in there until the final year when we found we had a music lesson there for the first time . We sat at the back out of the way , we thought , the music teacher came in and announced " All those on...
  3. M

Radio

Reading all this I recalled a music programme on the BBC Light Programme , possibly Thursday lunchtime , possibly called "Go Man Go" I'd be about 13 then . It played all the latest pop hits , but performed by a studio band & singers , not really the same . I guess it was due to what the...
  4. M

Radio

Ah yes I'd forgotten that one , lots of requests from John Doe in BFPO 41 . Which meant British Forces Posted Overseas plus the area code .
  5. M

Radio

Reading some of the above reminded me of how boring Sundays seemed back in the day . It was a case of " You can't play out because its Sunday " And of course all the shops closed at 6.00pm on the dot !!!! As if they would be arrested by stopping open !! Probably would have been ...
  6. M

Radio

Nice to hear that others remember the days of radio , (the pictures were better on radio) . We didn't have a TV when I was a child and some of the output went over my head but I certainly remember the shipping forecast , specially when they forecast gale force winds etc , I could picture...
  7. M

Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton

Hi Mohawk , this is Mooch . I' m sure we've spoken together on here . Just noticed your comment about moving to Hamstead . So that would be the Cold Extrusion I believe , and you must have known the electrician I worked under ,down at Witton , Les Sankey ?
  8. M

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

I can tell you that a lighting company called Courtney Pope were at the flatted factory in the 1960's . I was an apprentice with an electrical contractors called Walker Bros. They sent me , in the van , to collect some fittings from there but confused me with the term "Flatted Factory" ...
  9. M

Witton Lodge Road

Thanks guys ...a mate has always sworn blind that its a bomb crater ....urban myth I guess. He won't believe me but at least I now know .
  10. M

Thanks Willey , I found myself back there about 18 years ago , doing some electrical work , the whole place seemed tiny to what I remembered. Just realised I already said that .......Oh well leave it in now,
  11. M

Thanks Willey, When you say "Nature table" I remember Miss Holman always having bowls of crocus, daffs snowdrops etc in the class . Is that what you meant. Her class was in what was called "The Huts" . Two additional classrooms built in the playground. My memories are not so pleasant ...
  12. M

I left there in 1956, Mrs Treasure was a full time teacher then . The annexe back then was the church hall at All Souls Church in Wenlock Rd off The Broadway. Try to jog a few memories with the few teacher's names I remember . Mr Chapman,,,,,,Miss Piches......Mr Phillips.......Mrs...
  13. M

Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton

Thats most interesting Mohawk ........1939 Eh ! The Luftwaffe would have been glad of that methinks.
  14. M

The End Of An Era.. Carl's last radio show...today!

What do WM have for brains ? Don't answer that !!!! Disgrace to axe Carl's show .......... what will they do , play pop records for 2 hours like all the other so called "local" stations ? HMMmm That'll be interesting ................NOT . I wish Carl all the best for the future .
  15. M

Re: Birchfield Secondry Modern School Teachr on the right in the cricket team photo is definitely Mr Evans , others are aafter my time .
  16. M

Thanks for posting that Brian , I was at Birchfield from 1957 -1960 and I'd say that the "Chronicle " had died a death by then. But we had the same Headmaster as you did in 1948.
  17. M

Family in Davey Road, Aston and Perry Barr

John , my memory is slowly churning , may I ask if you and your brother David were "Gingernuts" ?
  18. M

Bob, just re-read your post and there were more memories I missed, " Dispatch 'n Mail!!!!" being shouted . And I'm sure Carl Chinn did a piece on the "Andy Carrier " lady , discovering who she was etc. She seemed to be a permanent part of the city centre. On a Saturday night during...
  19. M

Hi Sidwho , I'm trying to place you , remember if there is a couple of years in age between us it may be a case ... " Those older boys over the road" or " Those younger boys over the road " I'd be suprised if I didn't know you though. My name is Evans , my older brother is Roy , 144 is 2...
  20. M

A few memories there Bob!! I lived in Davey Road , the Normandy Rd end (144) And the same as you , trollys and toboggans down Normany Rd , minding the cars , we charged a tanner, entered the Villa ground at half time when they were obliged to open all the gates , watched the 2nd half then a...
Back