• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. O

British Leyland (before it was British Leyland?)

Hi Forever, Part of the BL vehicles were previously ,BMC ,Austin , Morris , MG , Riley , Wolseley , have you any idea about where in Birmingham he worked that would help trace the factory and what he was involved with .
  2. O

Greet Primary School

Hi JLW , although its been close to 70 years if i can be of any help i'm happy to help.
  3. O

King's Arms - William Street / Bishopsgate Street

Queen Elizabeth's coronation , Williams street with The Kings Arms in the background , only half the photo that i believe may have been from a news paper.
  4. O

Royal Flying Corps Royal Air Force WW1

I have been trying to find out about my Grandad for some time now , i knew he was in the RAF in ww2 & we thought he began in the RFC but a chance remark by my Mother before she died lead me to the ROYAL NAVY AIR SERVICE & that opened things up , i knew he was was involved with air ships and...
  5. O

Formans Road secondary modern

Yes Steve, down the boulevard & around the block ,i hated it, it was sparkhill baths quite a walk. Keith
  6. O

Hi Steve & Malcolm Do you remember running around the houses?
  7. O

Hi BB I have sent you a message (hopefully)
  8. O

Hi Butcher boy, Yes i knew the area well, I lived in the prefabs at the bottom of Weston Lane but spent a lot of time around Acocks green , can you remember the younger teacher that took over PT we nick named him Ted & i think he lived around the Knights Road area.
  9. O

Thanks Butcher boy that's helped, Mr Wild did metal work, Mr Wildboar did woodwork, can't remember any of the ladies just a vague recollection of one that took us for religious study, may have been Mrs Smith, it wasn't my favourite subject. Thanks for the memory jog, it will keep me thinking.
  10. O

Hi Butcher boy Satch was Mr Leese deputy head , Mr Parry-Jones took us for PE & i remember Mr Pugh but others escape me at the moment , must be my age.
  11. O

Moving away but always a Brummie

We left Brum over 40 years ago , worked a lot with Stokies around Stafford & stoke travelled a lot around Europe and was asked recently if we were Brummies..........by a South African gent.
  12. O

WW2 bomb money collection box Bull Ring

I seem to remember the bomb in the market was by a pet shop & close to a stall we would have cockles , mussels or whelks as a treat on Saturday, good memories.
  13. O

Stratford Road

Dr Redfern & Dr Sill were our family doctors when i was growing up in the late 50s early 60s , also remember my dad said that he had his medical there when he was called up around 1940 . Only remember getting the most terrible tasting medicine from there when i was small .
  14. O

White Lion Portway

We used to go the White lion about 70/71 ish when there was a folk club for a short time (fingamygigs i think it was called) Jasper Carrot was usually there with a few other well known acts. Also played darts at the Holly bush , great memories. (remember the local bobby was Mr Pinchin).
  15. O

Warwick Road Greet.

Hi Paul, I went to greet school in the 50s/60s and if i remember rightly there were 2 shops selling sweets on that section, 1 sold newspapers the other was more cigarettes etc , they had a " Kraven A " sign outside and i bought my first watch from them ,the other had the toy shop on the other...
  16. O

Hall Green Technical College

Hi Peter, Yes that's the one,comes from a life of motor cycling. Stay safe OGRI
  17. O

Greet Primary School

Hi KDGreet & welcome,if you search top right for " Greet primary school",there is quite a bit of information on the forum already,i left there in 1959 so a lot has changed since then. good luck Ogri
  18. O

Wagon & Horses Warwick Rd. Greet?

Does any one know if the same bombing resulted in Greet school getting damaged,resulting in the new section being built on the end near the caretakers house ,i only recently found out why that classroom was different. Ogri
  19. O

Hall Green Technical College

Hi Viv, I remember the college well,i went there on day release from 1965 to 1970 as an apprentice mechanic,made some good friends,learned quite a lot & had a lot of fun (some of which i won't go into),i wonder how many of them carried on in the trade as i did until i retired. I shall have to...
  20. O

Worst car of the 1960's

What about a 3 wheel Reliant, (i could write a book )some times it was even fun when i wasn't repairing it .
Back