• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

104 Wheeler Street

I would say ,that the first picture is correct,The shop on the corner, is Chapmans, the Greengrocer, then a tobacco shop, Cowdrills Bike shop, Shipmans chemist, & then Amos Bakery , I was friends with their daughter during the war. & remember that she had a brother, Which would be your mom's...
  2. B

Doctors

On the diagonal corner to Dr Targets, there was a Distpensary and Dr Riechenfeld came there during the war. It was said that he escaped from Austria.with his family. I think we paid 4 Pence a month . he was an excellent Dr. My dad had Dr Hamilton. and he was very good.. Jean.
  3. B

Where did you live

Born 1931, at parents fish & chip shop, 253 Farm st Hockley. 1940, 1 back 25 Burbury st. 1949, Married. 70 Burnham Rd, 1956 bought corner shop.70, Taylor Rd Kings Heath. 1960 moved to Blackpool. Wembley Hotel Promenade. 1982. To present Nessel St Riverside California USA.
  4. B

Farm Street Hockley

Hi Lyn, Great pic,s of Farm St where I was born , at 253.at my mom.s fish & chip shop. opposite. Evans paper shop. I don.t know if I am wrong but I thought Frankfort St ran parallel with Farm St? starting at Gt Russel St. to summer lane.? Jean. Riverside California.
  5. B

The Duke Of Cambridge, Great King Street

Hello Malcolm, I Knew the Bailey family. Doreen , Alf & Glady's, daughter, & I were friends right into our teens. Before they went into the pub trade, they lived opposite my mom & Dad's ,fish & chip shop in Farm street. Did your family live there, ? or it may have been Glady's sister. Jean...
  6. B

City Centre Photographs

The photo ,brought back memories of a dress shop that use to be there called Alberta's. I bought my wedding dress from there Sept 1949. I still have it here in Riverside California.
  7. B

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Re: Birmingham History My Brother 13 & I, 9, were evacuated in 1941 to Cutnall Green Nr Droitwich. I was not happy where I was staying . & my brother did not want me with him. He took me to a lovely lady , Margery Roberts. she had 2 daughters of her own, plus 2 girl evacuees, But she saw how...
  8. B

A painting of Saint Chads

That is a really lovely painting, I was married there Sept 24 1949, Sad to say the marriage did not last. Jean. California USA
  9. B

Old street pics..

10. B

HOW? Favourites - From old computer to new

I would like to know how to get to get the toolbars that have Bookmarks & Favourites
  11. B

Defford road..

I live in Burbury St. I had a friend that live on the left in Defford Rd, her name was Margaret Satchwell. did you know them ? Jean.
  12. B

To members living abroad

I use www.expatshied.com you can also download BBC I Player from it, .and its free Jean Clifornia USA
  13. B

Lennox Street

Yes it was next door to Sid Lawiey's
  14. B

Songs Of Birmingham

How about Way down summer lane. Jean
  15. B

Kunzle Cakes

I had my wedding recepion at the restaurant off Corperation St, 30 shillings pp. They made my wedding cake also. Jean.
  16. B

Florist * Summer Lane * 1946 - 1964

I think it was the florists where I had my wedding flowers done. I do not remember the nsme. but the location looks right. Jean.
  17. B

Lennox Street

Were you near to Farm St.? where my parents owned Bramwells fish & chip shop ? . I knew a few kids in Lennox St what is your name.? Jean.
  18. B

Call the midwife

Brenda. I recorded it will watch it tonight, here in California. Did you know you can download www.expatshield.com. it gives you a UK Ip address and you can download the "bbciplayer " & watch BBC & ITV . I have been watching the new Downton Abby...
  19. B

Was You One of These Children ?

Thank you sooooo much Ragga, Took me back in memory, all the way from California, I visited Weston a few times, only saw the sea twice. it was good to see children enjoying the simple pleasures of life. Jean.
  20. B

Mann/Bannister Family Farm St, Wheelers St, Hockley, Lozells

I knew Joan & Jean, they were in the same Tap & Ballet dance class as me 194o -45. at Burbury St schoo. they lived in Wheeler St ,between Bridge St & New John St. Jean
Back