• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Homer Street

Hello everyone I have been trying to find out a bit more about Homer Street, as my g-grandfather was born there in 1850. From google I can see that the bottom end, where he was born (no 81) is all modern but the top end is older. My architectural knowledge is not great - does anyone know when...
  2. M

French polishers around Yardley, 1900s

Hi - a hopelessly optimistic enquiry..... Family history tells that my great-grandmother had to walk to work at her factory with no food, and was fed by a friend of hers. Both girls were french polishers, and lived in the Yardley area - my grandmother in Forest Road, and her friend on Warwick...
  3. M

Charles Lee

Hi - I would be grateful to know what the directories have on a Charles Lee at 178 Cromwell Street, or Milton Crescent, Church Road, any time between 1902 and 1919 would be relevant. I believe he was a shopkeeper. Many thanks
  4. M

'Huckster' shopkeeper

Hi - wonder if someone can help. Two members of my family are described on various certs etc as 'huckster' shopkeepers - wondered if anyone knew what it means? Thanks!
  5. M

Coventry Road, Yardley - Melton Villas and Avenue Terrace

Hi everyone I know I had family at these 2 addresses in Yardley in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The street names seem to be long gone as I can't spot them on google maps, although a lot of Coventry Road Yardley looks fairly intact. I'm looking for the Rivers family - I know they were in...
  6. M

Lower or Upper Trinity Street

Hi - does anyone have any memories or photos of these streets? My family have been linked to them from at least 1841, when Sarah Humpage was a shopkeeper there, to after 1900 when other members of the family lived there. From google maps, it all seems to have gone. Thanks in advance for...
Back