• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Allcock Street School

Hi - my great-grandad attended Allcock Street when it was quite new - I have one of his certificates, which had got damamged and been sewn back together in the days before sticky tape! If anyone comes up with a photo of the school I'd love to see one.
  2. M

Homer Street

Hello everyone I have been trying to find out a bit more about Homer Street, as my g-grandfather was born there in 1850. From google I can see that the bottom end, where he was born (no 81) is all modern but the top end is older. My architectural knowledge is not great - does anyone know when...
  3. M

Tyn y Coed Convalescent Home

Many thanks both - this has been really helpful Kate
  4. M

Tyn y Coed Convalescent Home

Hi - I'm also looking for information on Tyn-y-Coed. My great-grandfather was there in 1908 - possibly with TB? - and I have a similar postcard to the one above, that he sent to his fiancee. I was just wondering if Craig had managed to find anything out? Kate
  5. M

French polishers around Yardley, 1900s

Thanks everyone for your help on this - it seems there were a lot of french polishers around then. I suppose any decent quality furniture was french polished in those days?
  6. M

Thanks Len, that's a definite possibility, as 'factory' is mentioned in the family story.
  7. M

Hi - a hopelessly optimistic enquiry..... Family history tells that my great-grandmother had to walk to work at her factory with no food, and was fed by a friend of hers. Both girls were french polishers, and lived in the Yardley area - my grandmother in Forest Road, and her friend on Warwick...
  8. M

Charles Lee

hi - thanks again everyone. It is odd - I know he had the shop there in 1919, as it is on his death cert. I know he was listed at Cromwell Street and Milton Terrace on the electoral roll in 1912, and I can't see why he would have both buildings unless one was a shop. It's lovely to hear that...
  9. M

'Huckster' shopkeeper

hi - thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I love the painting! Doesn't look much like Deritend does it.......! Thanks Liz for your memories - that sounds just like what I know of the shops - strange how words move in and out of the language isn't it. Kate
  10. M

Charles Lee

Many thanks both. I had a feeling that 'huckster' wasn't going to be anything polite! I think the shop was like a 'corner' shop - selling a bit of everying. Strange that nothing came up in the directories - in 1912 on the electoral roll Charles is named as owning/renting both premises, and at...
  11. M

Charles Lee

Hi - I would be grateful to know what the directories have on a Charles Lee at 178 Cromwell Street, or Milton Crescent, Church Road, any time between 1902 and 1919 would be relevant. I believe he was a shopkeeper. Many thanks
  12. M

'Huckster' shopkeeper

Hi - wonder if someone can help. Two members of my family are described on various certs etc as 'huckster' shopkeepers - wondered if anyone knew what it means? Thanks!
  13. M

Coventry Road, Yardley - Melton Villas and Avenue Terrace

Hi everyone I know I had family at these 2 addresses in Yardley in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The street names seem to be long gone as I can't spot them on google maps, although a lot of Coventry Road Yardley looks fairly intact. I'm looking for the Rivers family - I know they were in...
  14. M

Devon street

Hi all - as a few of you had family from Devon Street, just wondere dif any of you wanted to claim the girl on the left. Her name is Dollie, and the date on the back is 1921. The girl on the right is my great-auntie, who lived at no 87. It says that Dollie was a neighbour. I did have a look...
  15. M

lee/lea

Hi - I was looking for Lee links and found this one - long while ago so don't know if you are still searching, but on the 1911 it looked like your Maria was 60 years old, not 50. There is a Maria Lee crops up in other census records, daughter of Edward and Maria, born in 1851, a steel pen maker...
  16. M

Lower or Upper Trinity Street

Hi - does anyone have any memories or photos of these streets? My family have been linked to them from at least 1841, when Sarah Humpage was a shopkeeper there, to after 1900 when other members of the family lived there. From google maps, it all seems to have gone. Thanks in advance for...
  17. M

Devon street

Many thanks Mike - good to know!
  18. M

Devon street

Devon Street - my grandad was born there in 1918. His parents, Charles and Edith Lee, ran a grocers shop at no 87. They left in 1922, on doctors, orders, for a pollution-free life in worcestershire, as my great-grandfather was asthmatic. I wondered if anyone knows if the shop there continued...
  19. M

Cannon Hill Park Memorial

Thanks so much Florence, that was very kind of you! I'm no nearer knowing whether he was our T Harding or not yet, but at least I now know there is that name on the memorial - I'm very grateful. Kate
  20. M

Hall Of Memory - Online Remembrance Books

I wandered into the Hall of Memory by accident whilst on a course in Broad Street, and thought what a beautiful and peaceful building it is. I returned last week to show some family members, and found the book open on the page of the relative we lost - Fred Collett, drowned on the Good Hope in...
Back