• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I was born there on 21 April 1952 and adopted via, I was led to believe, the Church of England - they may hold some records re your brother. Best of luck Reggie x
  2. R

Memories of horses you learned to ride on.

Hi Jean! With the benefit of a few hours sleep I think Rhona may have moved to Rugely. Reggie.
  3. R

Hi GG Jean - could well be the same horse would have been around 1966. Rhona from Hilltop at Sandwell moved out of Bimingham somewhere, can't remember exactly where now = memory not what it was. Remember Mum and I went out to the new stables to visit and came home with a mad black lab puppy =...
  4. R

First went riding at Hilltop which then closed when the owner Rhona moved. Afterwards went to Barr Beacon run by George and Nan. Remember riding Paladin and also finding Calypso dead in the field one day. My mum used to ride Fella. This was early 60s. Also remember mad chestnut called...
  5. R

George Dixons Grammar School

Just joined and found this thread. I was at GD from 1963 to 1968. First year we were Miss Sowman's class 1E. Most vivid memories are Miss McColl for maths who was wonderful; Mr Colley for latin who was a novelty as the only male teacher at the time. Had some wonderful times there. Remember...
  6. R

Greenmore College

Greenmore College on Hampstead Road was on the same side as Handsworth Park a little further up the hill towards Villa Road etc. I was 5 when I went there and I believe this was the infants and junior site. I had a photo of myself and a school friend taken by the local paper one snowy morning...
  7. R

Greenmore College

I went to Greenmore College in the 1950s, 1957 I think. It was on Hampstead Road and the old school photo I have says it was also called Broughton House School. I remember we used to be given warm milk at morning break!! Hated it then and still do. Remember the teachers wore gowns and very...
  8. R

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I was born in Moseley in 1952 (possibly the Sorrento Maternity Home) and adopted through the Church Of England. I vividly remember Sister Hellmuth coming to visit and my mother (adopted) always helping me to tidy up my toys.
  9. R

Calthorpe Home For Girls, Handsworth

I remember my parents taking a girl called Diane on holiday with us in the 1950s (probably about 1954/55) from a childrens home in Handsworth, Church Hill Road I believe. Could it have been connected to the Church of England adoption system - which is where they adopted me?
Back