• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Help/Advice

Wonder if someone could help or point me in the right direction. I have just received a death certificate for John Jeffery who died 1845 in St. Peter, Derby which states that Thos Jeffery was present at the death and he lived in Canal Street, St. Peter, Derby. I am trying to find out what...
  2. S

Help please!!

I have found this photo and do not have any idea who this young man is. I was wondering whether anyone recognises the uniform or could put a date to it. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have found an ancestor who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery (87th Siege...
  3. S

photo restoration

A while ago I had a badly damaged photo and some fantastic people here helped to restore it for me. I wondered whether someone would help me again with another photo. Thanks
  4. S

Restoration help

I have recently been sent this picure and wondered if anyone could help restore this photo for me.
  5. S

Picture Restoration

I would be really grateful if someone could help me to restore this damaged photo of my Grandad and his brother.
  6. S

Right birth

I am trying to find the birth of a mary Ann Jenkins in order to find her mothers maiden name. She married in 1867 at the age of 29 which would make her year of birth 1838ish. Her father was William Jenkins and census returns show her mother as Elizabeth. I sent for one certificate, Feb 1839...
  7. S

Benjamin Shenton

I am trying to find out more about Benjamin Shenton who seems to have taken over a Coal Merchants in Rea Street from a James Howis, I have records of Benjamin trading from Rea street from 1883 but would like to find out more about how long James Howis had this business, when Benjamin acquired...
  8. S

Marriage look up please

I have a Rebecca Ankcorn born 1851 in Tanworth, Warwickshire. Father Samuel Ankcorn. Marriage July qtr 1876. Would like to know who she married. Could someone look up this for me. Thank you.
  9. S

Jenkins William ?

I have William Jenkins (b 1801) in the 1841 census living with his wife Elizabeth in St. Thomas, Birmingham. By 1851 he has died, Elizabeth continues to live in the district of St. Thomas until somewhere beween 1871-1881. I am trying to find William's death and have 5 possibilities!!!!! Not...
  10. S

Trying to find Birth record

I have a Clara Malin born around 1878 in Claverdon, Warwickshire. Who died 4th Sept 1929 as Clara Wiggett. I am trying to trace her birth so I can send off for her birth certificate but am not having much luck. Can anyone help please?
  11. S

Theatre history

I know this is not strictly in the Birmingham arena but I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help. My daughter is trying to find out information about the 'Cockpit Theatre' in Bridgnorth 1811 - 1824. Does anyone know where we could find out anything about it?
  12. S

Bowling Alley

Hope someone can help!! I have a family in the 1881 census living in Bowling Alley, Northfield, Worcestershire. Having looked at the pages either side of the entry it is somewhere between Staple Hall and Church Hill. Does anybody have a map that covers this area at this time (it doesn't exist...
  13. S

damaged photo

I have this badly damaged photo, is there anyway of restoring it?
  14. S

I need help!!

Hope I have done this right. Can anybody help me out with deciphering this entry on a birth certificate. It reads Ellen Ankcorn formerly !!!!!????. The one bit of info I wanted and I can't make it out. Would be grateful for any ideas.
  15. S

Engine driver

Wonder if someone could point me in the right direction. I have an Ernest Wiggett who was a train driver sometime between 1925 - 1965. He lived in Stirchley,Birmingham and I am told there is(or was) an engine somewhere that has a plaque on it with his name on. How do I find out information...
  16. S

Ankcorn

I have an Ellen Ankcorn who I have found was baptised 10th Oct 1848, Inkberrow parents Thomas and Ellen Ankcorn. I wanted to send for a birth certificate but cannot find her birth anywhere, nor can I find a marriage for Thomas and Ellen!! Can anyone help?
  17. S

shenton birth

I have a copy of a birth certificate for 1861 for a Benjamin Shenton in the district of St Martin but the print is so bad I cannot make out the date of birth. Could anybody help me out? Thanks
  18. S

1806 marriage info

I wonder if anyone could look up a marriage for James Wiggett and Mary Dericoat on 25th Nov 1806. I would like to know who the witnesses were if that's possible.
  19. S

Help please - if possible

My Gt Grandfather Thomas Wiggett married a Clara Malin in Selly Oak, Birmingham in 1900. They went on to have 4 children I know of Ernest 1901, William 1903, Clara 1906 and Annie 1908. I then found on freebmd 2 children George 1911 and Nellie 1914, but no one seems to remember them!! Nellie born...
  20. S

wrong name?

I am trying to find an Amy Oakes born 1876, Kings Norton, Worcs. Her mother was Mary Ann Oakes (no father on birth cert). I have found her family in the 1881 census (I think) with an Emily Oakes, could this be Amy?
Back