• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

Waterloo Street Birmingham

Just wondered if anyone had any information or photos from 1940 for Jack Cottons letting agents at 35 Waterloo street. My mum started working there when she was 14 and had just left school.
  2. S

Unwanted certificates

Unfortunately with the research I have done I don’t think there are any children from any of the marriages. In the few trees that list them they are very distant members of the family. Quite sad really.
  3. S

Unwanted certificates

That’s a shame but thank you for taking the time to look into it for me.
  4. S

Unwanted certificates

I have some certificates that are not connected to my family research and wondered if they were any use to anyone. Agnes Charlotte Westbury - birth 1901, marriage 1927 and death 1943, certificates Edith Hilda Jones - marriage 1944, death 1962, certificates Leslie Merton Holroyd - birth 1896...
  5. S

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

That‘s interesting as it was my dad who worked at Parkside and his dad was an engine driver on the Cadbury’s railway line. If you do have any photos that would be fantastic.
  6. S

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Would be interested if anyone knows anything about the Cadbury’s distribution centre called ’Parkside’. Where it was? When it was opened? Any photos or stories. Thanks
  7. S

Evacuee from Stirchley - help

All this is amazing. I can’t thank you all enough for your fantastic research and help. I agree I would love to get over there to check it out but I need to get my head around all this info first!!
  8. S

Thank you for those articles. It was so good to think the evacuees were welcomed in such a way at a difficult time for them.
  9. S

That sounds interesting. Where can I find this article?
  10. S

That’s great thank you. I have found that he was living with a family of the local baker, John Showell. I would love to find out which school he went to and what life was like in Barton under Needwood at that time. It is frustrating when names are blanked out on the 1939 census - do you know why...
  11. S

Thank you for your help. However it turns out I was given the wrong information ( a lesson never to take all info family give you as always accurate!!) It turns out my dad was one of 20 boys evacuated from Stirchley street senior boys school to Barton under Needwood, Staffordshire. Just...
  12. S

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could help or advise me in trying to find more information about my dad’s evacuation. My dad was listed in the 1939 census on the 29th Sept, as 12years old living in Stirchley with his family. I have a school leavers certificate for July 1941 from Stirchley...
  13. S

The 'Bull' factory horns

I realise this is a strange question but I wondered if anyone might know what time the Cadbury ‘bull’ used to sound for the factory lunch break in the 1950’s.
  14. S

House history

Thanks for your help. Would the library have the electoral registers for each of the intervening years - including the war years?
  15. S

House history

Just wondered if there is any way to track when my ancestor moved address. Through the electoral register I have the following 1930 - 53 Midland Rd, Birmingham 1935 - 6 Beilby Road, Birmingham 1939 - 6 Beilby Road, Birmingham 1945 - 53 Greenoak Crescent, Birmingham I am trying to find out when...
  16. S

Help/Advice

Wonder if someone could help or point me in the right direction. I have just received a death certificate for John Jeffery who died 1845 in St. Peter, Derby which states that Thos Jeffery was present at the death and he lived in Canal Street, St. Peter, Derby. I am trying to find out what...
  17. S

Help please!!

Thank you for your response and suggestions.
  18. S

Help please!!

I have found this photo and do not have any idea who this young man is. I was wondering whether anyone recognises the uniform or could put a date to it. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have found an ancestor who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery (87th Siege...
  19. S

Jenkins William ?

Re: Which William Jenkins? My connection to William Jenkins is through his daughter Mary Ann Jenkins who would have been the sister of John. I did eventually find the death of William in 1849. I have John's wife as Catherine Slanley - Is that correct with the information you have?
  20. S

photo restoration

A while ago I had a badly damaged photo and some fantastic people here helped to restore it for me. I wondered whether someone would help me again with another photo. Thanks
Back