• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

The Antelope, The Bear, The Mermaid; the same architect

Check out "Sparkhill" on Wikepedia and you will be rewarded with magnificent views of the above three Stratford Road pubs (plus one of Sparkhill Library). These buildings were all designed by the Birmingham architect Holland W. Hobbiss, examples of whose work is to be seen all over the city. The...
  2. P

Tank 'Ouse

Does anyone know how many "Tank Houses" there were in Birmingham in their heyday? I remember two, both on the Stratford Road, one was The Antelope but I forget the name of the other. Mild ale was delivered by tanker - I kid you not - and pumped to an underground tank at the pub. I think the...
  3. P

The Grand Turk

Does anyone have a picture of the Grand Turk, which was in the old Bull Ring, I think next to the Market Hall. You could buy very cheap draught rough cider there. The escapologist used to come in and tip all his pennies out on the bar, buy a drink and take away the change converted to shillings etc.
  4. P

The Adam and Eve, Bradford Street

I would love to see a picture of the above pub (which I believe no longer exists). I used to go to the jazz club there in the 50's.
Back