• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. L

Birmingham Cinemas

When the Mayfair cinema was demolished a petrol station was built facing onto the College Road, and behind this a cul de sac of 11 houses leading off Sunnybank Avenue which was named Mayfair Close. The houses were built in 1971 – my husband and I were amongst the first people to move in – our...
  2. L

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi Christine, Thank you so much for posting this. The reason for the confusion over the location of Ashley Place is that it fell within a triangle bounded on one side by Dawson Road, by Baker Street on another, and the third side was the wall of Handsworth Grammar School. There couldn’t have...
  3. L

Perry Barr Shopping Precinct 1960-9, Lynton Sq

This thread really brings back memories. Back in 1964 I worked as a “Saturday girl” in Etam’s. It was next door to Mothercare and just along from Dorothy Perkins. I was asked to work on Christmas Eve one year and have vivid memories of the men from nearby factories coming in from lunchtime...
  4. L

Burlington St Schools

Brenda, Many thanks for your posting on Miss Busby - such a wonderful epitaph for a teacher to have been so well liked. Lin
  5. L

Burlington St Schools

Hi, My husband's great great aunt was Hannah Busby, born in 1880, who was a teacher at Burlington Street school. There have been a couple of lovely posts made on this site about her:- "Miss Busby had retired by the time I started school but she taught my sisters and brother and lived with her...
  6. L

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi, Thank you so much for getting back to me. I was born at Ashley Place in 1950, my parents moved to Perry Barr the following year. As the 4th child in the family the "two up, two down" house was somewhat cramped! They swapped house with a couple who wanted to move closer to their daughter. We...
  7. L

Prefabs

Hi, Can anyone help me please. Does anyone have a photo of the prefabs at Cotleigh Grove on the Queslette Road. My husband's family lived there for many years and it would be wonderful if there was a photo. Thanks Lin
  8. L

Soho Road Handsworth

Hi, Do you have any more information about the terraces at right angles to Dawson Road please. I was born in 1950 at 12,Ashley Place, Dawson Road and I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the area. Many thanks Lin
  9. L

Handsworth during the 50's and 60's

I was delighted to see the information about Ashley Place - I’ve been trying for years to find its exact location. I was born at 12, Ashley Place in 1950, and was the reason my family moved. As the 4th child of a family living in a two up two down house my parents decided they needed more room...
  10. L

Bombing Brum

Hi, I’ve only just discovered this site and read this post. I’ve been doing some researching on behalf of my brother-in-law Geoffrey Hobin – now aged 83. As a boy he actually lived at the shop at the corner of Cross Street and George Street which his father, Edward, ran with his mom Ellen...
Back