• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. MWS

Christmas Quiz

EDIT - I will highlight the questions answered correctly in green. Which doesn't stop anyone having a go, just that the answers have already been given. A multi-part quiz covering a range of subjects and styles. Clicking on the title of each quiz will take you directly to it. With regards the...
  2. MWS

Areas of Birmingham (ish) Quiz

I know I've done area quizzes before, but I couldn't see one on here. The answer to each clue is an area of Birmingham or nearby. Again, please allow others to have a try before posting answers. Thanks. 1. Billie Jean's motorcycle 2. A mighty weight 3. Say hello and welcome 4. In a cloister...
  3. MWS

Evetts/Neville family

Stanley James Evetts and Irene Edith Neville If someone was serving in the armed forces, they would not appear on the regular ERs. They would be recorded separately but with their home addess.
  4. MWS

Dudley Diary

Not quite Bham but may be of interest... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-62290114 ...though it didn't take much time to work out that she was Lilian Harriet Green, daughter of Albert Louis Green and Harriet Fuggle. That her father died when she was young, that she had an unnamed sister...
  5. MWS

Berrow / Devey Family

I did mean to type Henry Charles, originally because that is how he appears on his baptism. It could be a C but I'm not certain. I do think it's the correct family. Another sister and brother also moved to Bham and Henry is with his brother Robert in 1891.
  6. MWS

Paradise Development 2022

Building works are still progressing, One Centenary Way looks to be near completion (at least on the outside). I was in town last week and it was surprising how much space there is around the buildings, they look really close together from the live cameras. Planning permission has been...
  7. MWS

Greaves, Ruth & George

Certainly one (Ruth) and possibly both distant relatives. Marriage reg. Solihull 1896 but possibly was at Christ Church, Burntwood. Then it looks like they divorced in 1907, interesting in itself. George may have been a soldier (possibly Boer War) and then possibly emigrated to US on the...
  8. MWS

1950 USA Census

On a related note for anyone interested just read that the 1950 US census will be released in April.
  9. MWS

Old Maps Website

Not sure how many people use this excellent site but there's a message on the homepage saying that the website will be closing down on 31st Oct. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ A shame.
  10. MWS

Name Help

Any ideas please of what the name of number 30 could be... It looks like - T - r maybe - third letter could be an e rather than an o - not sure about the 4th - y. Thanks
  11. MWS

Uniform Identification Request

This is supposedly a picture my grandfather, who served in WW1 but he looks too young in this photo for it to be of that period. Can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks.
  12. MWS

Your Most Exotic Ancestor

Not strictly Birmingham related I suppose but... Where did your most 'exotic' ancestor come from and why did they (if you know) or their descendants come to Birmingham? I would say mine would be a 3 x great grandfather from Holme-next-the-sea in Norfolk (not very exotic) and was probably a...
  13. MWS

Vauxhall Road

Another map request if possible. Of Vauxhall Road, Duddeston late 1800s/early 1900s showing 106 and 12 back 102 and how close the were to Northumberland St please. Thanks.
  14. MWS

Labour Corps

The is my grandfather, William Simmonds and other (unknown unfortunately) soldiers of the Labour Corps from some unknown date during WWI I was told that he was also the cook and I have his Mrs Beeton's cookbook There's a good few recipes that have gone out of fashion and I can't seem...
  15. MWS

Church Lane, Aston

In the 1890s my gt gt grandfather was living at no1, court 16 Church Lane and in 1950 my nan was living at no 25. Don't know if it's the same Church Lane or not but I'm having trouble locating it. Any ideas? Thanks.
  16. MWS

Favourite Family History Photograph

I haven't got many but this is my favourite. It's from 1928 and is the wedding of an aunt from my grandad's first marriage. She was born in 1908 and was 28 years older than my dad. The bride is obviously my aunt, the first man sitting down on her left is my grandad, the woman at her shoulder...
  17. MWS

Oxfordshire Parishes Resources

I have church records for various churches for various years. They are... Cuddesdon, Elsfield, Forest Hill, Garsington, Holton, Horspath, Horton cum Studley, Marston, Wheatley and Wood Eaton. If anyone happens to need a look up let me know.
  18. MWS

St James The Less Ashted Lookups

Hello, It looks like there are there 2 baptisms for Simmonds, daughters of James and Mary between 1873 and 1881. Could someone possibly give me the details off the images if there are any please.
  19. MWS

Pre-1841 records.

I've come to a bit of a dead end with one of my family lines (unfortunately the main one) and am just wandering what options I've got. Here's what I've got... My great great great grandparents were married in 1812 in Cuddesdon Oxfordshire, I've got the Cuddesdon records and it says both of this...
  20. MWS

Thomas Warner & Esther Hemues

According to familysearch they were married on 4 Dec 1803. Can anyone with a copy of the registers add any more details. Thanks.
Back