• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Phil, You cant really post anyones email on here as everyone can see it. But if you contact me privately we cant talk. By the way before you came to live in Reginald Road (not sure what year that was), the man who lived in your house kept pigs up the garden. When they were ready for slaughter...
  2. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi again Phil, I am still in touch with Roger Mansell just at christmas mainly. He married later in life and had no children. His mom lived in Reginald Road till she died. Also the two brothers in the flats were Tony and Donald Lattie. I think their father was Italian.
  3. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Harry Rose and Gwen his wife were friends of our parents and we used to go on holiday with them sometimes - I have a photo of us all in Ramsgate. We all packed into a large old ambulance that Harry bought to make the journey. Mom used to look after Harry Rose junior as both Harry Snr. and...
  4. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Phil, I remember you well and your sister Andrea as we lived at 38. Wendy Howkins and brother Graham. Are you still in Somerset? Those pictures of Reginald Road were great with no cars at all. Its not like that now.
  5. W

New unseen photos of brum

Thank you for this lovely photo, I started work in Baskerville House in 1959 as a shorthand typist!
  6. W

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hello John, Do0 you have any photos of your parents shop in Reginald Road (I lived there) and remember the shop well. Wendy
  7. W

Alum Rock Road Shops

Southalls was opposite the Brookhill pub and that's been pulled down. Perhaps that's where you mean.
  8. W

Alum Rock Road Shops

Wow! That's fantastic and brings back so many memories. My mom would take me every Wednesday afternoon after school and then I went to the Saturday Club every Saturday morning. Thank you so much.
  9. W

Alum Rock Road Shops

Mike do you have any more pics of Saltley and Alum Rock, especially one of the Rock cinema. I lived in the road opposite - Reginald Road. Suppose no photos of that? Thanks WendyP
  10. W

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I think you mean Laura Dixons which was above Chetwyns mens shop at the top of Navigation Street. We went jiving there often in the early 60's. Great times.
  11. W

Oh I didn't know they did dancing lessons, I always went on Saturday nights jiving to records!
  12. W

Talking of clubs and small dance halls, did any of you go to Laura Dixons in Navigation Street? I used to go about 1960. It was upstairs above Chetwyns mens shop. Lovely little place. WendyP
  13. W

WW1 - A family information request...

Hi, My dad was born in the parish of Aston but he was in a regiment in Shrewsbury, so I reckon you could go just about anywhere. Sorry that's no help!
  14. W

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Reginald Road. I lived at number 38 until I got married in 1968. There were very few cars at the time of your photos. My dad had one later, an Anglia. I remember the Guests, think they had a daughter my age.
  15. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

I was born in Reginald Road in 1944 and moved out when I got married in 1968. However I always lived within 30 minutes of "The Rock". Unfortunately I now live in Suffolk so cant visit the library but when I am next in Birmingham I will make a point of visiting and looking at the book...
  16. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Having been born and living in Alum Rock until I was 24, I would love to see this book. Is there any way the library can show it?
  17. W

123 Reginald Road, Saltley

Hi Lynda I remember you and Frank. I lived next door to your cousins Brian and Pauline Styche. I am Wendy Howkins and had a brother Graham about the same age as you. Is this shop you are talking about the one on the corner of Jersey Road? I remember in the early 60's someone called Janet...
  18. W

Alum Rock Road Shops

It was an old lady called Mrs. Brookes who had the sweet shop and newsagents too. My uncle was the manager of the butchers next to Haynes and the butchers was called Barkers. They hung out all the birds at Christmas etc.
  19. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Mickymoo Whereabouts was the tin trunk factory?
  20. W

Saltley & Alum Rock

Thanks for the names Wendy. I thought perhaps I would recognise them but I didnt.
Back