• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

Golden Hillock Road Six Ways Small Heath

My mom and dad married in 1949. On the marriage certificate my dads given address is 103 1/2 Golden Hillock Road. He was born in Wales but moved to Birmingham and worked at the BSA. Mom lived in Sydenham Road at the time of marriage.
  2. S

McAllister family

I found a John McAllister listed on the 1901 census in Liverpool. He was a Street Musician, born Birmingham and is Blind. Living at 63 Baptist Street, with his wife Alice. Did you know there is a pottery (Nicholas Mosse Pottery) in Wexford, Ireland,
  3. S

McAllister family

Also listed in "Claims to Pension Submitted to Chelsea Board" : Leicester Regiment. served in India of very good character. He was a Sergeant, born Birmingham about 1857. The Pension Admission date was 14 April 1988 He did serve in former corps but I am not sure what this means or what it...
  4. S

McAllister family

Did you notice that on Thomas's military records it states that he joined at Curragh Camp. This was in the Dublin Area (my Gt. Grandfather was there and his son, my Grandfather, was born in Curragh Camp)
  5. S

McAllister family

Is that Thomas on the 1911 census (Electroplater (Army Pensioner) with his wife Alice and 6 children. Born Birmingham, living at 56 Red lane, Coventry? This Thomas is listed on the 1901 census too, This time in Leicester, along with Alice and two children. I have been looking at some Military...
  6. S

Church Road, Yardley.

According to mother in law it was a two pump petrol station at the end of Croft Road.
  7. S

Saltley & Alum Rock

I remember going to an event there. I am sure my brother said it was to commemorate 100 years (or it could have been 200 years) of the parks opening. Must have been in the late 50's early 60's as we lived in Ash Road from around 1954 to 1966.
  8. S

Saltley & Alum Rock

Used to walk through the park on our way to Adderley School.
  9. S

Church Road, Yardley.

Can't quite see where that is. Where is Croft Road?
  10. S

Church Road, Yardley.

Sadly mother in law is in hospital at the moment. I live in Cambridge but cannot visit due to the fact that I am over 65 so due to infections I am not allowed into the ward!. However her niece and nephew are with her and text constantly. I have sent a letter (she is deaf too and cannot hear...
  11. S

Church Road, Yardley.

Not got any photos but I know exactly which houses you are thinking about. I have asked mother in law who lives in Newcroft. I think they may have been build very early in the 1970's but I have always known them to be there! The house in Church Road on the corner used to belong to a plumber...
  12. S

Badges & Emblems of the Services - Booklet (64 pages)

I did post this yesterday but can't find it so maybe I didn't press "post thread"! Anyway I have a a booklet dated about 1940 showing 346 illustrations. Wondered if anyone would like it. Send a PM and I will be happy to mail it to you. I checked Amazon and it is £5.95 for the same one.
  13. S

Belchers Lane Bordesley Green

We used to go to Belcher's Lane Playing Fields from our school in Bordesley Green too. My brother went to Saltley Grammar so I used to walk down and meet him at home time. Are they still there or have they been built on yet?
  14. S

Joan Sally Lloyd

Did you know that Doreen Boot/Lloyd married again in 1968?
  15. S

Joan Sally Lloyd

There is an entry on the 1939 register for Henry Lloyd, married, looks like his DOB was April but the whole entry has been crossed through, however there is also Doreen M Lloyd (Lloyd crossed and Craddock entered later) born 5 April 2014 and Joan Sally Lloyd (Lloyd crossed through and Hacking...
  16. S

Joan Sally Lloyd

There is a birth registration for Henry Lloyd in Lichfield in 1913. Mother's maiden name was Foster. However I cannot see a marriage between a Lloyd and Foster in Lichfield. Should be able find Henry on the 1921 census.
  17. S

Help identifying where in Birmingham

Thar car is an Austin Cambridge or could be a Woolsley but by the colour scheme I think it is a Cambridge. I looked in the 1969 Kelly's but nothing for W H Taylor, Fashion Jewellery and Electrical Fittings, but I think this photo is probably a little younger than 1969, maybe in the 1970's.
  18. S

FAO: Residents of Chelmsley Wood (past and present).

Not sure if you are still around Bradford, or if you are still interested in Chelmsley Wood. Anyway a good friend of mine was the Youth Leader at The Forum Youth Club for a number of years, this would have been in the mid 1970's. I used to spend time there helping him as I lived very close.
  19. S

Midland Red to Wales

I have been looking at the Wikipedia site of the Midland Red and it doesn't look as if they did operate in South Wales. North Wales, yes, as we used to go to Rhyl by Midland Red Coach from Digbeth.
  20. S

Adderley & Cherrywood Schools

I remember Mr Hughes very well, also Miss Oldbury (RE). Was Mr Tennant Head when you were there. Miss (or Mrs Bush used to take us for Needlework. Mr Jackson used to take us for English, he was also our Form Master in 3rd year. How about Mr. Matthews for Geography?
Back