• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Herbert Road Small Heath

That's a wonderful photo. Thank you so much for sharing it.
  2. B

Sheldon

I was born in Horrell Road & it holds many happy memories for me. I was just wondering, do you have any idea how the road got to be named as Horrell?
  3. B

Sheldon

My Mom told me of when she used to wander down Horrell Road in Sheldon to watch the progress of the houses being built as she & my Dad were to have one when they were finished & she told me that much of the work was done by Italian prisoners of war.
  4. B

Horrell Road, Sheldon

Hello all, I was wondering whether anyone might know of the origin behind the name of Horrell Road which is Sheldon? Thank you.
  5. B

Dallow's shop

My cousin can recall having to catch her bus home from work from Albert Street in Birmingham city centre in the 1950's where she regularly passed by a shop in Albert Street named Dallow's ~ She thinks that it was possibly a clothing shop but isn't absolutely sure. Dallow is a surname which...
  6. B

Middlemore Children’s Emigration Homes

Excellent information ~ thank you so much for posting this.
  7. B

I wasn't aware of the history society & their interest in this subject so thank you for bringing it to my attention. The photos really pull on your heartstrings don't they. Thank you.
  8. B

Thank you all. I actually have been able to discover records to learn of when they travelled out & of what became of them in Canada, etc so help is not needed concerning that. My query is just how they came about becoming children within the Middlemore system. I have discovered that their...
  9. B

Many thanks for your reply. I have 4 ancestors who became Middlemore Home Children. Two brothers went out to Ontario in 1881 & their ship's passenger record shows all of the children listed within a huge bracket with the wording Middlemore alongside the bracket. They had a brother who travelled...
  10. B

Does anyone know how it came about for children to become Middlemore Home children? Were struggling families approached by the homes or did families apply to the homes believing that it would give their children a better chance in life?
  11. B

Middlemore Children's Home record book

Oh, that's very useful information. Thank you so much, I am very grateful.
  12. B

Middlemore Children's Home record book

Can anyone help me please? I have just discovered that 5 ancestors became Middlemore Home Children, all being sent out to Canada. I have been looking on the internet to learn about the home in Birmingham and on one website there was a picture showing a page from the old record book. Incredibly...
  13. B

Lodging House, Rea Street, Birmingham

Hello all, I have a death certificate of an ancestor dated 1914 showing that he was of "Lodging House, Red Street, Birmingham". Can anyone enlighten me on where Red Street used to be please? Also, is the "Lodging House of Red Street" known about by anyone? My ancestor seemed to have fallen on...
  14. B

quinn Elizabeth & william aspinall of birmingham

Hi Sarah, I realise now that I was a generation out in my reply to your posting ~ so your grandfather was the son of Elizabeth Quinn & William Frederick Aspinall. I am sorry for that error. It's a pity that your Aunt wasn't able to register but if she would like to make contact with me via...
  15. B

quinn Elizabeth & william aspinall of birmingham

Sarah, thank you for your post. I am the originator of this post which I placed when trying to look into my Quinn family line.... Elizabeth Quinn who married to William Frederick Aspinall was the sister of Harriet Quinn who was my grandmother. Sadly, I never knew any of my grandparents as they...
  16. B

Porter

I can confirm that the 1847 marriage in Wolverhampton is the correct entry with the bride being named Martha Thomas.
  17. B

The Bowling Green At St Bernard's Grange, Sheldon

I used to love to go into the outdoor of The Grange to buy my own crisps when I was little cos it made me feel so grown up. I seem to recall that the counter was very high up but perhaps that's just a figment of my imagination & it might have just been that I was very short!
  18. B

CROWN GREEN BOWLING

I can recall watching bowls matches in the 1960s at the St Bernards Grange pub in Sheldon. Does anyone else remember it too by any chance?
  19. B

We used to have great fun there exploring in the trees and they gave great hiding places too. The old pub was full of character with its old fashioned bar, it's function room, the glass house lounge and it even had a small gents only room that was the next door along from the little outdoor...
  20. B

St Bernard's Grange public house, formerly the home of the Wimbush family, holds dear memories for me. I was born in the 1950's & recall going to the pub in the 1950/60's with my parents and used to have great fun playing within the wonderful grounds with my friends. Today's land border to the...
Back