• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Bobbygee The picture of your family's shoe repairers/timber yard was very good. Thanks for posting it on the forum. I went to Nansen Road Girls School and left in 1959. I remember a girl in my class (alas I cannot remember her name) but I am sure she lived in a shoe repairers around...
  2. C

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

Dear Ernie My father was the Thomas Bingham you mentioned. He worked all his working life for the Post Office at both Fordrough Lane and Garrison Lane. During the war he worked for the Post Office in London. I cannot remember exactly when he retired, he took early retirement when he was...
  3. C

Post Office Factory. Fordrough Lane

My father, Tom Bingham, worked there all his working life until he retired in about 1980. He worked at Fordrough Lane I think most of the time, but did have to go to Garrison Lane sometimes. During the war he worked somewhere in London for the Post Office as he was never called up. He started...
  4. C

Alum Rock Road Shops

Another girl from Nansen Road also had a mother who worked at Braggs, the girl was called Jean Harris and lived in Highfield Road at the top near Alum Rock Road. Jean was a bit older than I was, perhaps you remember her. I think Jean was a year older than I was so probably left Nansen in 1958.
  5. C

Alum Rock Road Shops

Hi janet, this is Christine. I used to work at May Mitchells as a Saturday girl for about a year from 1958-summer 1959 when I left school. Aslo, I remember Braggs bakery and my mother also worked there. She worked there on and off for years and I think she worked in various departments. At...
Back