• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Y

What does REME MEAN.

I was having a discussion with my mother in law about my father in laws time in the army. Denis Downing was a soldier when they met in 1943/44. I am assuming he served in the 2nd world war but i do know he served in Korean war . My mother in law has dementia so she cant remember much. Somethings...
  2. Y

Floatman

Would anyone know what a Floatman is. I'm assuming it is something to do with the barges. I have a marriage certificate for a Mary Barnett dated 1901 to a James Mills. The certificate states that Mary was a widow but it has another word above widow that is not legible. It appears that it could...
  3. Y

Snow Hill Station in the 4os.

My mother-in-law used to be a porter at Snow Hill station, she worked there from approx 1940-1945 or maybe longer.I am looking for some old photos from around that time. My mother-in-law often tells the story about when she carried Clarke Gable's suitcases for him, although she did'nt know who...
  4. Y

Barnett Edwin elijah

I have posted on here before to ask if anyone could give my some info on Elijah Barnett. I now think his name could have been Edwin Elijah I have found out some info regarding his military status. I know by his presumed wife that he must have died in 1901 or before because she re married in 01...
  5. Y

St John's Church Kate Hill Dudley

I am trying to find out some information on Mary Barnett who married James Mills in this Church. 1901. I have discovered that the Church is now closed. Does anyone know where the records would have been moved to.
  6. Y

Barnett Elijah Looking for 1900

I'm looking for some information on Mother-in-Law's grandfather Elijah Barnett. I'm assuming he married a woman called Mary but i cant find a marriage certificate for them. Elijah passed away sometime before 1912 .I think it may have been about 1900 because Mary Married a James Mills around that...
  7. Y

Brasshouse Lane.

I realize that this is not quite Birmingham but would anyone have a map of Brasshouse Lane from the Smethwick/West Bromwich area in the 1920s. My mother-in-Law was bought up at number 185 Brasshouse Lane. As far as she can recall it was a farm house, she remembers being there for most of her...
  8. Y

Does anyone remember Sister Ridgeway

I work as a home care assistant and i love talking to the service users, they always have a story to tell. I was talking to a lady today who used to be a nurse at Dudley Rd (city) hospital during the 1950s. I asked this lady if she remembered a Sister Ridgeway. I had heart problems and spent...
  9. Y

Searching for Mary Josephine Harwood

I went to St Chads church today and obtained my baptism certificate. I would like to trace my God Mother, Mary Josephine Harwood. I never knew this lady but my mother always told me that she was Gary Pendry ( the footballer's) aunt. I would like to know if this story was true. I have looked on...
  10. Y

Greens Jewelers

Does anyone remember Greens the Jewelers shop at the top of Corporation street? My husbands sister was manageress there in the 60s.My husband is trying to trace his sister so if anyone has some information regarding the Jewelers , he would be delighted.
  11. Y

Is this my Husbands grandfather?

I have been searching through the WW1 military records and i have found what could be my husbands Grandfather. I had very little to go on so needless to say it has been very difficult. Not knowing what regiment he was in or his rank number, this is a total guess but it seems to fit. His name is...
  12. Y

Wilson Stuart school

Due to a serious heart condition i attended Wilson Stuart school for the physically handicapped ,Short Heath Road. 1956 -1962. I was eleven years old when i left to go to Secondary school as my condition improved. I dont remember much about the school but i can remember there was a nun who...
  13. Y

Ty-Phoo Tea

I worked at Ty-Phoo tea Bradford Street in the early 70s. I worked in the tea bag room on the machines packing. I can just about remember the chargehand Ursula, she was a big woman.We had a lot of fun whilst working there, especially when we had the power cuts and we had to work shifts.all the...
  14. Y

Massey Honor

Would anyone have some information regarding my husbands Grandmother Honor Massey.(1888-1952) Staffordshire .I cant seem to find her mother & fathers details for some reason, unless i have over looked them. I would like to know if she had any siblings. I would be grateful for any help offered. I...
  15. Y

My Dad

My dad was real joker. He would say to me when i was a child. " go and have a look in the garden to see if i'm there" I lost count of the times i went and had a look, came back and said "no dad i cant see you". My dad passed away in 1981 but his sayings still live on today, like " here's...
  16. Y

Dennis downing Army records

I want to apply for my father-in-law's WW2 army records. i have been told that i can obtain them from the personnel dept at the ministry of defence offices. does anyone know the number so that i could contact them? :culpability:
  17. Y

BARNETT - looking for Janice Barnett?

I am looking for my husbands sister Janice. My husband last saw Janice when he was about 14..(1962) give or take a year. Janice was using her maiden name of Barnett. I have no idea if she married or if she used any other name. As far as i was told ,Janice lived with her grandparents Honor and...
  18. Y

Kings Norton

I am interested to know exactly how far kings Norton stretched to in 1917+ Most of my husbands family originate from the Smethwick area but according to the ancestry web site ,the certificates say Kings Norton. I have applied to Birmingham Registry office for a Birth & Marriage Certificate but...
  19. Y

Raglan Rd Handsworth.

Does anyone have any old photo's of Raglan Rd. Handsworth. My mother-in-law was born there in 1918. I am interested to see what it was like in those days... Many Thanks Eileen (yogimon)
  20. Y

I'm Searching for David Downing.

I am trying to find some information regarding the War records of my husband's late Grandfather David Downing. David's address on the 1911 census is Gilbert Rd Smethwick Worcs. Unfortunately i do not know what regiment David was in but i know that he had injuries to his face caused in...
Back