• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Julian

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

I won a trophy called "The Grinsell Pairs" in the late 1980s at the Richmond Sportsdrome and had to skate with a partner to win it. I knew there was a skater named Grinsell but not that there were brothers. I'm just realizing that this is possibly the reason why the trophy was so named!
  2. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

We had an 80th Mohawks Reunion on 13 December 2015. Do you recognize any of the faces in these photos? We should have another one and ask everyone to bring their old skates if they still have them. Dave Bodington is in there "singing" on the microphone! Actually, Dave was kindly filling-in for...
  3. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi Old Mohawk. The photo I am seeing is the Bristol arena, skated there a few times myself, and the notation at the bottom of the photo says Phil Ridgeway and Eric Grinsell. I'm still in touch with Dave Bodington on Facebook.
  4. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

More photos of the Birmingham Mohawks Ice Racing Club. Most photos courtesy of Dave Hampton. I have many more of the Mohawks but they are not captured in the environment of the Silver Blades Arena itself so I have not included them in these uploads.
  5. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Some more photos of the Birmingham Mohawks Ice Racing Team. Alas, many of my photos seem to be too large to be accepted by the website.
  6. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Please excuse me if this is not the right place to post photos of the old Spring Hill and Silver Blades Birmingham Ice Racing Club. Many photos courtesy of Dave Hampton.
  7. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi Brimar! I speed skated with Clive and Stuart Pass as a member of the Mohawks from about 1985 to 1990 when it shut down. Clive is still somewhere around Birmingham and Stuart moved to somewhere on the East coast of Canada, as did I, except I'm on the West coast. Other names in the speed...
  8. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hi Old Mohawk! We had a 80th Mohawk reunion a few years back - were you there? I was in attendance and met some Mohawks that I would never have met otherwise. I've just posted the link to this thread to the Solihull Mohawk Facebook page so you may see a few more participants shortly. If its not...
  9. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

ARTHUR! Is that you? This is ME! Just saw this post and thought, "it must be Arthur Smith, brother of Dave!" We were the Wombles. Let me know how it's going. Cheers, Julian.
  10. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Smashing photos! My Father often spoke of the Spring Hill ice arena as he lived not too far away in the Cross Keys pub on Steward Street as a young man. Ken Pendry is the only person that I would know from the Mohawks during that era because he refereed many of the domestic and international...
  11. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Hello Old Mohawk. Just curious to know your name as I too was a Mohawk up until the arena was closed and have been posting photos courtesy of Dave Hampton and Roy Sanders (many the same as yours) to the Friends Reunited site...
  12. Julian

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Re: Ruth Devaney nee Nicholl Hello Ruth, I'm a former Birmingham Mohawk, (until the arena closed down) and just discovered this site but have been posting many photos of the Mohawks to Friends Reunited including some of Mally. Here is the link...
  13. Julian

The Cross Keys Steward Street, Ladywood

Yes, please Lyn! I live in Canada these days so it would be nice to see some current images of the building. Julian
  14. Julian

Hello Astonian, I do recall the name Bonner being exchanged in conversations between my Father and his brothers and sisters when they would get together for various family occasions. I hadn't heard about the trophy in the window though or what it represented. I do know that Watty was keen on...
  15. Julian

George Green, my Father, recognizes himself in a photo taken in circa 1917 in the Cross Keys pub ...88 years ago! Published in the the Evening Mail in 2005. The original article was regarding the raffling off of the Cross Keys pub by the current owner.
  16. Julian

1960s Watty Green at the Hall Green Greyhound Racing Track with sons George, Dennis, Lou and a number of close relations and friends with whom he made a "book".
  17. Julian

Watty and Julia Green with their sons Dennis and Louis in the early days of World War 2. Elder son George Green would have already been overseas with his regiement, the Royal Warwickshires at this time.
  18. Julian

Here are some photos of Watty and Julia in their later years attending a charity fundraiser, young Watty and his brother, Watty outside The Cross Keys, The Green family inside the Cross Keys and Watty outside the Cross Keys.
  19. Julian

Hello, Busy Lizzie, I am Watty Green's grandson. My Father was George Green who was born in an upstairs room of the Cross Keys and who was Watty's second eldest son; there were a total of 10 children born to Watty and Julia and in his later years Watty lived in Cateswell Road with my Father and...
Back