• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Queen Elizabeth II has died

Got up at 3oclock yesterday and watched tv untill the funeral was over,what a beautiful send off our Queen had, and very moving, only the Brits are able to do what was a wonderful show of pagentry, we shall miss the Queens smiling face,
  2. B

George Ellison and Tufnol

viv if you would check on #8 posted oct 1 2012 all the questions are answered..my father was an electric fitter all his life and worked at Ellisons for 40years.
  3. B

George Ellison and Tufnol

Viv, thank you for the picture, that is the painting i was talking about, l do have a black and white photo, of the painting and i am so pleased to see it colour, my father Wilfred Barr is in the background. this has really made my day and will save and show my grand children, once again thank...
  4. B

Birmingham's Working Horses

my grandfather Wm Joseph Barr, had his horse returned to him after ww1 and turned his horse to paster in Fillongley, saying she was never going to work again.
  5. B

GEC WITTON WORKS

Eric, my uncle Len Barr, worked in the drawing office about the time you were there., wonder if you knew him ??..Brenda. wonder
  6. B

Birmingham's Working Horses

My grandfathers horse was recruited in1914( he had a feed store on Park Road), and was one of the lucky horses to make it back my g/f was so happy to have him back and realized his horse must have been been through hell, so the horse was turned to pasture never to work again.
  7. B

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Ann, my g/father Wm J Barr was the oldest of 6 boys he was only 14 when his mother died but tried to keep the family together...4 of them went to an orphanage but as soon as they were old enough my g/father got them out to live with him, John was the youngest, their mother Teresa Barr d 1895...
  8. B

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

My grt uncle John Bertram Barr is on the memorial, his parents Thomas and Teresa Barr had already died but he resided with Wm Joseph Barr (my grandfather) at Park Road.
  9. B

sayings

Growing up in Aston l am familiar with lots of sayings and slang...but imagine my shock and surprise when l came to Texas and people say l am wearing my best kakis?? l only new that word has something else...after all these years l still have to smile if only these people knew what l knew it...
  10. B

Dunn's Fruit Store, Park Lane, Aston

Ann, l remember all the stores you mentioned grocery shop and the fish and chip shop l remember having tupenny worth of chips with lots of scratchings....the meat shop across the road made the best faggets and peas , Friday lunch time mom would send me up there with a jug and about 5.oopm l...
  11. B

sayings

l was used to all those sayings as my g/mother came from Walsall....but the one saying my mother used was.... l've got a bone to pick with you....then l knew I was in trouble, Brenda
  12. B

H.P Sauce Birmingham

Katrina, the all girls school was most likely Burlington st snr girls school, it was within walking distance of Upper Sutton Street.....Brenda
  13. B

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

Larry l wonder if you can remember my husbands g/mother lily Summerfield she lived at no.12, no 12 was a second home to my husband Ron Phillips...until we were married 1n 1956....l was born and bred in Aston and love to read the forum and see the pictures of the old Aston and Birmingham it...
  14. B

Air raid shelters

How l remember our Anderson that damp smell along with the paraffin heater have never left ...most people in Copely st went down the cellar or had a Morrison shelter, we were a cul-d-sac some houses had back gardens and some did,nt..l remember dad waking my brother and l up wrapping us up in...
  15. B

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Thank you for your interest..hopefully some one will come up with an answer ..in between l will start digging as l am sure one has to try the right thread ..Brenda
  16. B

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

My grandfather William j Barr had his horse taken for the war, as did many more people..but he was lucky as his horse was returned after the war ended...does anyone know if their were any records kept on these horses ...l know thousands were killed alone with the soldiers....and i'm sure there...
  17. B

2 back 34 Church Lane Aston

Ray, hope l can help..my g/parents were William and Alice Coates they lived at 33 Church Lane until around 1930 and then moved a few houses down to 63 Church Lane and opened a little newsagents shop they both died in 1947 then my uncle Billy Coates kept it going for a few years....if you get...
  18. B

Thank you Ray..those dates were way before my mothers time.her birth date was 1905..and never heard my grand parents mention any thing about a gas tram either but it was nice to find out a bit of Aston history......Brenda
  19. B

That must be an old map as its not showing any tram lines on Victoria Road which is where the lozells tram would go, my grandparents lived in Church Lane and my mother grew up in the lane and l don't recall any trams ....maybe it was a misprint.....Brenda
Back