• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Elmdon Airport

oh happy days my mom was a waitress there for many years,the airport christmas parties were great and every now and again the were air shows with blackburn beverley and bristol freighters royal navy helecopters which we went all over,on bank holidays the viewing area were packed a proper day...
  2. E

Elmdon Hall

i am impressed with your knowledge of the elmdon history group we are working hard to get a proper archaeological dig under way along with solihull council and local archaeological group we are only surmising cholera was the reason for the bath house on the estate. after some research the...
  3. E

Elmdon Hall

birmingham gazette are the archives available there must be a story inside
  4. E

Elmdon Hall

thanks for the info r/r the photos were great would be grateful any info you know of reguards elmdon estate
  5. E

Elmdon Hall

in carl chinns book peaky blinders, there is a photo of martino changretta working with a gang of men and a pair of steam traction engines, on the demolition of elmdon hall in 1921 as the hall was not knocked down till after the second world war, i wonder if this is the servants quarters and...
  6. E

Marston Hall Marston Green Bickenhill

thank you all for info trying to find history of last tenant mr alan thomas he owned a company in brum that made machine tools
  7. E

looking for info about marston hall i know it was knocked down to make way for airport would like to know last owner and what happend to him or her
  8. E

WWII Barrage Balloon Sites

thats what i thought so i will make a feature of it hope some one out there knows a bit more about the barrage site would love to learn a bit more about the history the rover plant and airport are close and solihull gas works and i know there was a gun site at the back of the olton hall pub and...
  9. E

will try to send photo if i can but will have to wait for my son to loand and send
  10. E

have just uncovererd what i belive to be barrage balloon anchor point in my garden in solihull near ice rink 28x28 inch concrete slab with 1inch dia steel eye bolt and 1inch dia steel ring. was there a site in this area to protect the rover plant or elmdon air port would be grateful any info on...
  11. E

Roll of Honour WW1

historynut where are you selling the and how much elmdon
  12. E

Roll of Honour WW1

Thanks for info strange my mom told us that her dad was shot by sniper he was lucky. He had a steel plate fitted to his skull and lived till 1931
  13. E

Roll of Honour WW1

Are copies of this book still avalible and thanks for info elmdon
  14. E

Roll of Honour WW1

after reading this thread how come so many brummies were in the kings own rifle corps who were based in winchster my own grandfarther was in this regement and went to france in july 1915 with the 12th battalion was wounded in the head by a sniper and shipped home later that year he died in 1931
  15. E

Rainbow Pub, High st Bordesley

could the ram be a brewery logo or a drink logo i/e ansells red squirrel m/bs leaping deer courage cockrell photo above shows it to be a atkinsons house do they have a link with the ram or was it drink rampant ram( definate mans drink) it started as a bit of fun. now i have to find out...
  16. E

thank you all for help in this matter i have drunk in the rainbow a few times .but only noticed the ram while on the bus across the cov road while they changed driver it seems strange to pay for and errect quite a large carving and the fact the corner of the pub was made flat to accomadate the...
  17. E

why has the rainbow public house digbeth have a rampant ram above door way has it allways been the rainbow. or does it have a conection to the old meat trade of birmingham:adoration:
  18. E

has your friend have any more info re marston green hall ELMDON
  19. E

what happend to marston green hall i know it was knocked down to make way for the new airport but it was a listed building and the story went it was stored for possible ( re building or spare parts for other houses of the same age the gates and gate posts were to be used some were in the new...
Back