• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Jayell

Online book: Memorials of The Old Square (Hill & Dent)

I've found this interesting book on the Old Square. https://archive.org/stream/b24886555#page/n4/mode/2up
  2. Jayell

Arthur Price Jnr Hockley Hill

I was sorting out my garden shed this afternoon and came across my Dad's old fishing tackle box. He was a very keen fisherman and went regularly with his friend Dick Pearse who had the newsagents shop on the corner of Soho Road/Villa Road. He seems to have bought quite a few items from Arthur...
  3. Jayell

Nostagic Brum

Interesting selection of old photos here https://youtu.be/ryR7HIFNMVo
  4. Jayell

Birmingham Parish Records online

Ancestry have today posted some Birmingham Parish Records online which have kept me busy! I've already had success with finding where some were buried and married! Judy
  5. Jayell

Soho College, Soho Hill, Handsworth

Here is a photo of some Soho College girls at the birthday party of one of them, Stella Duff. I am posting it here as I have also posted it on the Handsworth Kindergarten & Preparatory School site but thought Soho College should have a thread of its own. I would think the date would be about...
  6. Jayell

St Pauls, Ward End

Can anyone give me any information on this church? I have a relative who married at this church in 1925. I have just been told about this by a cousin who has the marriage certificate of his grandmother. The only church I have been able to find in Ward End is St Margarets. Apparently this...
  7. Jayell

James Stephens, 62 Constitution Hill, and where to find a Will

I'm trying to find the Will of my 4 x Gt Grandfather, James Stephens. He died in 1847 at 62 Constitution Hill, where he had run a business as a Boot & Shoe Maker for many years, and he lived (I believe) at the back of same or 62a. An application to HM Courts & Tribunals Service Probate...
  8. Jayell

Archaeology: Study of Birmingham 1700 onwards

I have just found this link to the Birmingham Field Archaeology Study of old Birmingham (1700's onwards). It was placed on another list I belong to and thought it would be of interest to everyone on the Forum. There are 64 pages which contain information, maps and drawings...
  9. Jayell

STEPHENS, James - b. about 1753

Just found out that my 4 x gt.grandfather was a Boot and Shoemaker and originally from Scotland. I wonder if anyone has access to Chapmans Directory 1800 and could see if he is in there for me. I've found him in Bull Street in Wrightsons 1818, and in Pigots 1829-1839 at 62 Constitution Hill...
  10. Jayell

Old Wharf

I didn't know quite where to post this picture. I think it must be situated off Broad Street and would like to know more about it. I can see the Council House clock in the background and also probably the steeple of Christ Church. I wonder what date it would be and where the photo was taken...
  11. Jayell

18th Century Birmingham

Just found this little clip which I thought was interesting: https://youtu.be/0E-i36sZxOs
  12. Jayell

Frank Martin - footballer

I'm trying to find out what happened to my mother's uncle, Frank Martin. Francis (Frank) was born in 1889 at either 10 or more likely 7 x 25 Court, Clifton Road, Aston. The family moved from No.10 house to No.7 between the 1891 and 1901 censuses. His parents were James and Ellen Martin. A...
  13. Jayell

A Ramble 'round Old Birmingham

Came across this the other day and found it fascinating. Hope it hasn't been posted before: https://mises.org/story/3072 Judy
  14. Jayell

gt russel street

Hi Mike Thanks for the information. I have checked the pubs that you list from the 1940 and 1912 directories on my 1913 map, and can find the Compasses Inn (196 Brearley St) on the corner of Gt. Russell Street and also I can find the Justice Inn at 86 Gt Russell St on the corner of Frankfort...
  15. Jayell

What is this badge?

This is a photo of Carlo John Niner and his wife Rachel (née Elliott) with their son, taken about 1917. Can anyone tell me what the badge is that Carlo is wearing. His grandson thinks it may be a British Rail badge. Sorry I can't get the close up of the badge any clearer. Judy
  16. Jayell

Niner Carlo John- Acrobat

In my family tree I have a John Carlo Niner from Birmingham. John Carlo (or Carlo John) was said to be a professional acrobat. Has anyone heard of him or know anything at all about him? I have both father and son with the same name and am unsure which one was the circus acrobat. The father was...
  17. Jayell

Hanson/Bridgen marriage look up please

From the IGI - Sarah Hanson married Samuel Bridgen on 27 August 1832 at St Martins. If anyone has access to the records could you tell me if there are any witnesses listed. Thanks a lot. Judy
  18. Jayell

Missing Troops WW1

The following has been sent to me via a mailing list I belong to and I thought it would be helpful to post on the forum. I hope it hasn't been posted before: The Times has obtained a list of British soldiers who fought in a series of battles in northwestern France in the First World War...
  19. Jayell

School Trip

Here is a photo of my Dad, Alex Tuck, on a school trip to Cowes, Isle of Wight, in 1910. He is seated at the front, third from right, with the Eton collar. Judy
  20. Jayell

Woody Herman

I've been having a sort out and just found this programme that I had forgotten about, for a concert at the Odeon on 12 April 1959 for The Woody Herman Herd. Did anyone else see them? Judy
Back