• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. JohnJames

The Ackerdocks

The Ackers was a real alternative from Small Heath Park in the 1960s. No parkie. Ride your bike wherever you wanted to. And a swing over the cut. Great days. As well as riding our bikes over the tracks we had made up, we also laid around listening to our transistor radios. Whiter Shade of Pale...
  2. JohnJames

Golden Place of Opportunity

My mum and dad came to Birmingham in 1953 from Ireland with nothing. They lived in a cold water room before managing to rent a small flat in a house with better facilities. Eventually they bought a house in Mansel Rd Small Heath. From then on they prospered. My Dad's dream was to live in...
  3. JohnJames

Townies

Do any members remember the "Townie" thing that sort of took off around late 1970 when the Skinhead thing became a bit boring? Clothes we wore were Crombies, Suits, trilby hats and loafer shoes amongst other things. Favourite pubs in town were the Gilded Cage, the Parisien, the Outrigger, the...
  4. JohnJames

Francis Sumner Engineering, Portland St Aston

Does anybody remember this factory in Portland St opposite Ansells Brewery? They made military buttons and were still operating in the early seventies.
Back