• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

The Old Crown Inn Deritend

I have a commemorative limited issue numbered token celebrating the refurbishment of the pub Regards Simon
  2. S

W Round Family Grocers 163 Church Lane Aston

Evening all, Yet another Birmingham token has come into my possession, Its one from Aston, a W Round, the family grocers in 163 Church Lane. Regards Simon
  3. S

The Old Crown Deritend - 630 Years Commemorative Token

Hello again, Yet another Birmingham token I came across. The Old Crown in Deritend celebrated the re-opening of the pub in 1998 following some restoration works and issued a limited edition of 2000 tokens to commemorate 630 years of the pubs existence, making it the oldest hostelry in the City...
  4. S

Bulls Head Birchfield

Hi Mike, I suspect the tie in with the Bulls Head is that they obviously had one of Twists billiard bagatelle tables, so the token acts as an advertisement for both businesses? Regards Simon
  5. S

Aston Villa FC Token

Yet another Birmingham related token, this time one that is nearly 50 years old, approximately 40mm diameter and 26g in weight. Simon
  6. S

Bulls Head Birchfield

Hi everyone, Yet again I have a Birmingham token to show you all, this time the Bulls Head Birchfield with a great depiction of an early billiards token.
  7. S

Thomas Wilkes - Grocer - Beech Lanes

Hi there, Yet again I seem to be drawn to Birmingham tokens in my daily wheeling and dealing, probably, in my personal opinion, because Birmingham had the best engravers, medallists, diesinkers etc over the course of time. Anyway, I now have this great 1 shilling token of Thomas Wilkes, a...
  8. S

Black Swan Bromsgrove Street - Pub Token

Evening, This time I have a bagatelle check for the Black Swan, Bromsgrove Street, with Robert Bruce Edmonds as the licence in 1858 until 1869, when a Mrs Elizabeth Wilson took over in 1870.
  9. S

Duke of Edinburgh, High Street, Aston Newtown - 2d Pub Token

Hi there everyone, Why is it that although i am in Suffolk, tokens from Birmingham always seem to land with me. Here is my latest arrival…..the Duke of Edinburgh, High Street, Aston Newtown. The style and beat up appearance looks to be late 1800’s, into the early 1900’s. Anyone have any...
  10. S

Alexandra Theatre - Simple Simon Pantomime 1947

Hi everyone, it’s Simon again Picked up yet another token, when you see it, you will realise I couldn’t resist it. its around 40mm in diameter and made by W Reeves & Co Ltd of Tenby Street .
  11. S

Howe Street Spirit Vaults

Hi all, it’s Simon here again, I have another nice token for you all to discuss and hopefully give me a bit more info on. The Token has the landlord shown as John Oakley and the token itself is made by W.Smith of New Meeting Street. I believe Howe Street is somewhere in the Aston area but I...
  12. S

Howe Street Spirit Vaults

Hi all, it’s Simon here again, your friendly token dealer from Suffolk. I have another nice token for you all to discuss and hopefully give me a bit more info on. The Token has the landlord shown as John Oakley and the token itself is made by W.Smith of New Meeting Street. I believe Howe...
  13. S

L.bower

Hi BHF Members, Simon here, your friendly token & coin dealer from Suffolk, who has today attended the Midlands Coin Fair. I found a 2d token that says around it Made By T.Pope. On the reverse in a single line is L.Bower. Now I know that T.Pope was based in Birmingham, but I know nothing...
  14. S

Mechanization & Aero Ltd

Hi BHF Members, Simon here, your friendly token & coin dealer from Suffolk, who has earlier today attended the Midlands Coin Fair. I've picked up a token for Mechanization & Aero Ltd, which I believe was a WWII factory located in Drews Lane, Ward End, Birmingham as well as Coventry. It is...
  15. S

E Drouet & Co Ltd Smithfield Market

Excellent photo.
  16. S

Hi Viv, I think they used to counterpunch holes in them to show they had been cashed in or something similar. This one has a relatively neat hole but some market tokens I've seen have quite a crude punched hole. Simon
  17. S

Godfree & Hewitt Ltd Holloway Head

Images of the token in question.
  18. S

Images of the token in question.
  19. S

Godfree & Hewitt Ltd Holloway Head

Thanks Mike, really do appreciate the info. Regards Simon
  20. S

As always very helpful, thank you Mike. Regards Simon