• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

the beehive pub soho hill

Referring to post 137, a copy of the same photo can be seen in posts 67 and 69. Allan
  2. A

Pub Quiz League

May I add my voice to the thanks expressed for Kieron and the way he organised the pub quiz league during these strange and difficult times. Congratulations to the winner Curly and the front runners Elmo and Guyarab. I particularly found the last three puzzles quite hard and am still...
  3. A

Hello JUDY and LYN, you are both right in that the lighter wall with the columns is the Dennison Watch Case Co., while the lower wall with the white gate is the boundary wall of the Beehive. Between the two was the passageway which passed a small row of houses to the right, then through an...
  4. A

The picture of DAWN`S parents looks to have been taken with them behind the left side of the bar if you were facing it. To the left of the photo, shielded by the curtain used to be a door with a serving hatch for the "gentlemens only smoking room", in the 1950`s. In post #110 JUDY mentions...
  5. A

Canning & Co & Electroplating

I can help with a few names. In photo 1 the person to the far right with the sideboard whiskers is FRED DAVIS and behind him ERNIE FELTON. The lady to the right with dark hair and glasses is possibly JOAN CHAPMAN and the person to the left with his hand to his chin is A.E.JONES. In the third...
  6. A

As someone who also lived there through happy childhood years, may I echo the sentiments expressed now the building has been demolished and will be no more. I fully understand change has to happen and many public houses have suffered a similar fate or had a different change of use, but it is...
  7. A

Battle Of The Somme 1 July Centenary

I would like to record and remember MAJOR ALFRED ARMSTRONG CADDICK, 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died aged 44 on this day 100 years ago, 1st July 1916. He is remembered with honour on the Thiepval Memorial. He had been on active service since the outbreak of the war serving...
  8. A

the beehive soho hill hockley

Hello JUDY, were you thinking of someone called Malcolm Bennett who lived further down towards the Roebuck pub on the same side as the Beehive and just past Park Avenue. If so his Father features on post 47 "Beehive Regulars" on the other thread, second from the left. He was an optician with...
  9. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

THE GRAND HOTEL In 2015 Hortons commissioned Tom Bird, a talented Birmingham based photographer, to make a photographic record of the Grand project. Here is a link to his images beginning in the basement, rising through the public spaces up to the new build roof and finally into the courtyard...
  10. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

The latest photograph released by Hortons` Estate Ltd., showing the newly restored facade of the Grand Hotel above the retail outlets on Colmore Row, now the scaffolding has been taken down to street level.
  11. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

Hello VIVIENNE, the areas in the posts you mention that are open to the elements are the level below the former roof area now removed and show work in progress for construction of the new one. A system for waterproofing is installed at the next level below this one to stop rainwater cascading...
  12. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

This is the final image. Allan
  13. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

I recently went on a guided tour of the GRAND HOTEL to see restoration work being carried out on the Victorian facade of the building and the present state of part of the inside, including the well known Grosvenor ballroom. These images include a look over the new roof on the Church St. side...
  14. A

Grand Hotel Colmore Row

This view over the roof of St Phillips cathedral is the first glimpse of the top three floors after completion of refurbishment and part of the protective curtain removed, leaving a see through screen. The photograph is likely to be published by Hortons Estates Ltd., soon and has been provided...
  15. A

Local PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS

Hello MIKE, here are another 3 images. The first is him playing golf and standing outside his club shop. In the second he is far right. There is no information about when or where the last photo taken. Regards Allan
  16. A

Local PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS

Hello MIKE, I was not able to see your photo which is a pity. Do you have any more information about Arthur which could be included in the Sandwell Park archives ? Here are three more images The first is a cartoon from the Sports Argus printed sometime before the first world war. If you...
Back