• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Andy66pandy

Restaurants In Birmingham 1960s

anyone remember the Golden Egg ? on New street towards the council house end....it was a family treat to go there .....I remember having a "banana boat" desert ...be around 1973/74 when I was 7/8 lol x
  2. Andy66pandy

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

No looks like Chris was before my time ..I looked at narpo obituaries he lived till a good she..but left WMP in 1979 . I imagine he out lived his colleagues as he passed aged 96 it seems ..but what an age
  3. Andy66pandy

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

I spent 5yrs working at the Lane...F1 ....and 20+ yes or so popping in and out on various enquires ..sad to see a place that was a busy workplace now just empty and quiet apart from the odd ghost
  4. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

hi, Jim Holyhead interviewed me for my job there as a van assistant ! 1983. lovely man..he even rang my mum to say was I sure this was something I wanted to do as I was an intelligent lad lol...I worked as van assistant for a year then moved into the warehouse known as 'run up' with Michael Pitt...
  5. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

I'll always remember 'Phillips' had a promotion in 1984 whereby they gave away with every sale an 'olympics 1984' glossy annual full if pics and info. Unfortunately it was the year that Russia boycotted the olympics - so half the stuff in the book was irrelevant ! Bob Sweeney even tried to...
  6. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

We had a shop at sparkhill..788 stratford road. I checked 'my letter of employment' from 1983 which has all the shops listed on the bottom lol!
  7. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

Yeah bob sweeney was the managing director when i was there.. The family had some boating accident in the 60's indeed i heard.I will always remember the jaquar xjs that bob sweeney drove... The 'poshest car' in the car park ! ... Registration CPU777T ( what a memory) ! .... I later saw this car...
  8. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

Yeah , very hard to find tv repair too now on high st .. But was pleased toread somewhere here someone still has a ferguson tv from sweeneys that still works.. My friends parents still have a 22" phillips 1002 model tv i sold them in 1985 bless! ... An expertly serviced tv i hasten to add ! Lol...
  9. Andy66pandy

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Hi im new to this site- joined to research my old employer- rf sweeney radio.. It has been mentioned here.. The perry barr branch was at 274 wellington rd..opposite crown and cushion.. Not sure what it is now.. Maybe a small supermarket ? The manager there was also an 'andy' .. Hee made me a...
  10. Andy66pandy

Sweeneys , tv rentals

Hi, i just joined this forum.i used to work for rf sweeney radio.. Started as a van assistant in 1983 then as a tv engineer a year later. Not much on the web about the firm.. I left in 1989 as i was a union rep and was always at loggerheads with the md ! He wouldnt expand training for staff in...
Back