• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Bradnock Marsh

Hi Snowball, I am afraid like all good snowballs, your claim must melt into oblivion, as I am a Bradnock (and not just related by ancestry or marriage). I must insist that my claim to all the lands (railway and golf course) is greater than yours, we could of course duel over it, or I could, (as...
  2. H

Summer Lane

Oh how I remember that Bicycle shop it brought about one of my young embarrassing moments. I worked just around the corner in my first job as an office junior. It was my job to take the post at the end of the day to Key Hill Post office and I had to pass the bike shop, as I passed a young man...
  3. H

I Remember When.....

I suppose its called progression and we must now accept that we have a multi racial society but but but but when I came to Birmingham for the day by coach (thanks to all for tips on shopping etc), a couple of weeks ago, I was desperate to hear the sound of Birmingham again and a good old Brummie...
  4. H

Help needed where shall i shop?

Thanks to you all for your good advice I didn't expect so much. Realising how much the old city must have changed over the years was my biggest problem. When I used to hop skip and jump up to town in my lunch hour from my office job there used to be one or two different places to shop in. I used...
  5. H

Help needed where shall i shop?

Coming on November the 4th for a day in Birmingham, bringing my Daughter, who wrongly thinks being a Brummie I will know all the good places to go in this great city but friends I havent been to the city of BIrmingham for well over 40 years so some tips would be greatly appreciated. We are...
  6. H

Rag Market

Help - shopping - Bull ring I am coming to Birmingham for one day only by coach on 4th November. My problem is, I havent been to the centre of Brum in over 40 years and I want to get the most out of my 'short lived' visit. I want to know where the 'best' place is to shop (looking for Christmas...
  7. H

Bradnock Marsh

Alan, thanks so much for the information. The place 'Bradnocks Marsh' sounds quite rural, I shall have a trip up to Birmingham in the near future and view this land that belonged to my ancestors. I get quite whimsical when I think of all those people, probably related, living out there lives...
  8. H

Bradnock Marsh

Thanks so much Jennyann for that information I have looked on the net and found it really interesting. I still think I should have an enormous mansion just waiting to be claimed out on Bradnock's marsh but just like the lottery its elusive.
  9. H

Famous people.

Went to see Shirley Bassey at an open air concert in Knebworth. she was ageless, great entertainer
  10. H

Handsworth Park Victoria Park Handsworth

Ah yes the shows in Handsworth Park. The one I remember the most, my Mother (bless her) decided, after hearing my friend and I give an impromptu concert (charging one penny admission for friends) that we could perform in the park. She spent hours making our dutch boy/girl costume and duly...
  11. H

old hockley pics

You have many fascinating pictures, which I thank you for sharing. I lived in Hockleybrook and though I am now a little long in the tooth, not quite as old as your pictures. I remember The Benyon, The Turks head the policeman standing in the centre of the road directing traffic (good job the...
  12. H

Axel Box Lapper

Thank you so much for bothering to answer my query. I am now a little more enlightened, I suppose in those days (he was 29 in 1911) it was much more a 'hands on' job. Would this be an axle on a car or did they have them on trains too? Excuse my ignorance. Thanks again for your information.
  13. H

Axel Box Lapper

Thats what the cencus tells me my Granfather was, he latter became a chauffeur to the Lord Mayor of Birmingham and somewhere there is a lovely photograph of him in his uniform. I just wonder how he started out what is a axel box lapper any ideas?
  14. H

Bradnock Marsh

Thank you for your information.I have looked on the first site and although I can now see where it is, I still wonder what it is? Is it just marsh land or perhaps now a housing estate? Where, I wonder did it get its name from? Guess I am still hoping for that manor house! If you can tell me...
  15. H

Bradnock Marsh

Can anyone tell me please anything about this place? I know that it is somewhere near Solihull. As it is my families name I would be very interested to know where the name derived from. Who knows there may be an enormous plot of land (plus manor house) just waiting for me to claim it, oh come...
  16. H

new john st

Great picture Astoness I lived in New John Street West, I well remember the celebrations and the ridiculous hats we all had to wear. I just wonder why it was all men on the photograph, women inside doing all the cooking I suppose, nothing changes!
  17. H

The Palladium Cinema Hockley Picture House

New to this great site, so forgive me for hiking over old ground just wanted to share this story with you. Dad, Mom, my cousin and I, went to the Palladium in the early 1950's (I know not what film but it dosn't matter) halfway through the performance, Dad shouted out and clutched his leg, much...
  18. H

Paddle Boats

paddle boats were at perry hall park
  19. H

Summer Lane

Used to work bang opposite the unity club (Ratcliff (Metals) believe the company was taken over by ICI. Worked facing the club for years and thought it looked a bit of a dump then one day went inside to a party and realised that the proverbial saying you can't judge a book by its cover was...
  20. H

calling all office girls.

Hi Jayell Wish I could help you but no that name does not ring a bell, its been many years since I went to Grove Lane School (I am getting a bit ancient). I have lived in Hertfordshire for over forty years, so many of my school friends names fade into oblivion. Good luck with the search though...
Back