• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

Hi, Some of my partners ancestors are down as being buried at St Martins in the 1840's. Now I know the area around the church has changed a lot, but I have a couple of questions. Was there a graveyard at the actual church at the time? If so when did it get covered up, do we know what...
  2. C

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

As mentioned above, Issac Sley as we cant get any further back than him. I've searched Ancestry and FamilySearch and the only trace of him is the christening of his son Elijah Sley (later Sleigh) at St Philips, on 23rd February 1795.
  3. C

St Phillips Birmingham Look Ups

This where I am stuck to tracing my partners tree. We have got to Isaac but no further. Are the records simple enough to access and go through at library. Ive always imagined going through things in chronological order and hoping by pot luck to find a correct name
  4. C

St Gabriels mission rooms, Summer Road, Acocks Green

Thanks Phil, I'm sure it will go fine, it will be nice to get to know another area of the City aftrer moving to Sheldon first of all nearly seven years ago. I hadn't seen that angle before when looking at google maps, but it looks like you are right with your suggestion. Building looks disused...
  5. C

St Gabriels mission rooms, Summer Road, Acocks Green

Hi everyone, We are about to move to a house on Summer Road in Acocks Green and when googling around noticed there was a mission room linked to St Mary's church that seems to be roughly where the house is. I can't seem to find much more than a couple of old maps and mention of the years that...
  6. C

Sheldon

The for sale sign has only recently gone up has it not? I noticed it only the other day for the first time when I headed for the bus stop. I can't see a hotel even for air crew extra working at all and like said in the article is their really a need for another mini supermarket at the...
  7. C

First Film Your Parent Took You To See

My mum took me to see Lady and the Tramp, not sure of the name of the pictures, but from memory I am sure it was in Hamilton.
  8. C

Sheldon

Apparently her grandfather met her grandmother as she lived their to. Her own father lived their upto two years ago. She was quite sad when he moved because she knew someone from her direct line had always lived on the road since it was built. Although her auntie still lives on the road now.
  9. C

Battle of Fromelles

My girlfriend has been contacted by the MOD and passed on the information to her great uncle who was DNA tested. He let us know that it was confirmed to him that one of the soldiers was definatly their reletive Charles Edward Hyett from the 2nd/6th bt Royal Warwickshire.
  10. C

Sheldon

Thanks len, gf's Grandfather moved to Parkdale when it was built so we were trying to put a time on it.
  11. C

Sheldon

I'll have to check with her, I think the story came from her Dad. Also can anyone say when Parkdale Road was built?
  12. C

Can anyone read this handwriting?

So I have had the same issue of not being able to read Cordwainer. Not what I cam looking for today but hey it was a good find!
  13. C

Building Location

Please can someone help and tell me where this building is. I believe it to be somewhere in the Black Country possibly. https://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs096.snc1/4966_93245519058_849249058_1827293_3616563_n.jpg Thanks
  14. C

Anyone with Irish relatives who fought for Britain in WW1 ?

To add to the original question asked, the greatest Unionist of the time came from Dublin, in Edward Carson. Ireland was the only place in the British Isles where conscription never took place, because the stream of volunteers just kept coming.
  15. C

Sheldon

St Giles's, girlfriend says that their is a story about having a connection with the Knights Templer? Her dad apparently told it her when she was younger but she can't remember it now I thought it could be possibe obviously with Temple Balsall being so close
  16. C

Sheldon

Thanks Ann, being a newbie still to Birmingham I was getting confused. I live on Church Road, and was thinking I didn't recognise the building. Keep getting my Church Roads mixed up between Yardley and Sheldon.
  17. C

Slums

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I am trying to find information on the 'poorer' areas on living in Birmingham during the 19c. Is their any sites that have a great deal of info, or any books published?
  18. C

Does anyone have a detailed map of Gooch St?

Mike Is their any chance you could put the map of Gooch street back up thanks
  19. C

Sharpe by Bernard Cornwall

So almost finished Waterloo, book 20 out of the whole seris. Has taken me almost 18 months but would recommened them to anyone who enjoys historical fiction or enjoyed the TV seris, Books are way different in places to the TV seris and you can see where they have been adapted for the show...
  20. C

31 Hill Crest Road, King's Norton

CHeers phil - we will add that to our list for our tour on Saturday. We are going to take a tour of address we have found through census and see which are still their.
Back