• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. H

Stratford Road

farmerdave - Fantastic! This must be at the start of Hall Green Parade? I'm not sure when they would have stopped trading, would be great to know. A quick look on Google brought up these: Eric Willmont shop in the background - c.1974 https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/12149080555/ Some...
  2. H

Stratford Road

Terrific photo! I don't know how many others were heated that way, but I do know that schools like Ladypool Primary School - and others designed by Martin and Chamberlain - used its tower to ventilate the school, getting cleaner air from higher up. That, of course, was before the tornado...
  3. H

Stratford Road

Great to hear from you all. Astonian - the Stratford Road did become a Red Route a few years ago, to stop delivery vans/lorries holding up traffic, though buses and taxis pulling in, along with the sheer amount of traffic, means it's still a slow crawl up the road in some parts... Phil - it...
  4. H

Stratford Road

That's an impressive memory! Thanks so much for these, it really helps when we have named shops. As we get more information through I'll start posting anything else we find out!!
  5. H

Stratford Road

Fascinating! What type of music did they play at catswell barracks? I know my dad used to dread going to dances until one of his female friends finally taught him some basic moves to the lindy hop, were gentlemen expected to be good dancers or could you get away with the manly sway?
  6. H

Stratford Road

Can you explain what the irish tea rooms looked like a bit more? They sound fascinating - a shame they have all gone now! Did you have a favourite pub?
  7. H

Stratford Road

Thanks so much for your reply, that would be fantastic if you could! We are very keen to know about the dances and events that happened at the Cateswell barracks.
  8. H

Stratford Road

Hello, I'm working on a HLF funded project called My Route and we are looking for any information about the history Stratford Road (Sparkbrook to Hall Green) from the 1940s onwards. The kinds of subjects we will be covering include entertainment e.g. cinemas, pubs, dance halls...
Back