• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

cato street

Thanks mate, people think I am making it up but that was the reality of the Monkey House, cooking stew or mussels op the fires, overflowing toilets and buying prescription drugs from OAPs. The only bans I can remember was to a group of travelers who were only banned from drinking inside after a...
  2. A

Street furniture

I like that in both pictures there are cars parked on the pavement, a grand Small Heath tradition.
  3. A

Street furniture

Still a dangerous junction as everyone jumps the lights on red but the object has gone.
  4. A

cato street

I can confirm that is the Monkey from the twin front doors, note the space where the brewery sign used to be but I also note that the glass still seems to be in the windows so this puts the picture to be pre 78 when I first went there.
  5. A

cato street

I think it was allowed to be there because it kept a lot of nuisance villains in the same place and off the streets. All the time we used the place we never saw a copper look in despite the amount of crime centered on the place. One day a man who was known to me as a career burglar parked a set...
  6. A

cato street

It was open in July 1981 when I moved out to Zimbabwe but was closed in 1985 when I got back. At the time I knew it all the other buildings in the area where down so it stood alone. Its fate must have been set hence the state of the place, drug dealing was rife, as was prostitution and...
  7. A

Motorcycle - How To Find My Old One

The best way of trying to find an old bike is either via the relevant owners club or the VMCC.
  8. A

cato street

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I was driving up Cato st today and thought about the Monkey House. I used to be an occasional visitor in the early 80s and can honestly say that it was the roughest pub I have ever been in.There were only two rooms and neither had any beer pumps, instead there...
  9. A

Lucas Parties & Pantomimes

I used to go to the parties at Foremans Road in the 60s and they had some top acts on for the kids. I met Lenny The Lion with Terry Hall there and they gave me a pack of Trebor mints. My mother may still have a photo.
  10. A

Library Of Birmingham 2013

I love it as a building still but still have severe doubts as a library. From the last place where the public can lay a hand on a book you go up 90 stairs to the not so secret garden then up another 45 stairs to the Shakespeare Memorial Library where you can look at books but not use them. I...
  11. A

Lucas Great King Street demolition

Well Corbett and Frank Kermode egged me on to doing it but the blame was all mine. I was with GKS from 1974 until 1981 when I took redundancy and moved out to live in Zimbabwe.
  12. A

I have spoken to the staff their and they seem very happy with the first two weeks, Ok they know that there are problems with the lifts and some of the shelving but they have had over 150,000 visitors so far and all the cafes, souvenir shops and galleries have coped well expect that some time...
  13. A

The public are not allowed in those areas.
  14. A

I see the building as a magnificent homage to the printed word but not a library. Floors are not listed by subject rather they are presented as abstract states such a "Study Zone" and "Relaxation Area", the rotunda thing looks superb but most of it is accessible only library staff ( these are...
  15. A

Lucas Engineering School Great Hampton Street

I started my apprenticeship at GHS in 73 and have fond memories of Pete Ruby, Ted Treviethic and Mr Davies. I have less fond memories of doing 5BX on the roof. I think they took on about 60 apprentices in 73 and we were all white and all male, Lucas was not a progressive company.
  16. A

You may just have lost a bet:rolleyes:
  17. A

Lucas Works Engineers

Re: Works Engineers. A strange bread. I to have my dice and base. I was a Hampton St in 73 then I moved to GKS GK7 to join the Pipefitters. I remember most of their names but decline to publish here. During the cold winter of 1978 (?) I spent most of my time outside struggling to keep the trade...
  18. A

Astones, thank you for the photo. If you look to the far right of it there is a triangulated bracket coming from the wall, this supported a swinging sign depicting Lord Byron. this was the sign I so childishly defaced by attaching an indelible pen to a broom stick and leaning over the wall from...
  19. A

I worked in GK7 as a PF until 1981. I got banned from the Lord Byron for defacing the pub sign with a pair of glasses and a moustache.
  20. A

Birmingham Superprix And Birmingham Motoring Festivals

A couple of years ago I was on crutches and decided to walk the circuit for exercise and to see what signs are left. The most obvious is the weird Island by Central Mosque but there are still holes in the pavement for much of the course for fixing the barriers and most remarkably a gravel trap...
Back