• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. maggs

Icknield Street Alert!

I have not been getting alerts from BHF for some time, so I have missed these latest pics of Icknield St. Gosh how they bring back memories for me. This was my walk to school every day, to Camden junior school and Secondary school. Thank you.
  2. maggs

Fish And Chip Shop Ickneild Street Springhill Birmingham 18 156z57

The faggots and peas shop was on the left hand side as you went up Spring Hill. It was not far from Alibone and Bachelor corner opposite. When we were kids we used to take out basin and have them filled. I don't remember it being a sit in place though. Mrs Morgan who ran the fish and chip shop...
  3. maggs

Fish And Chip Shop Ickneild Street Springhill Birmingham 18 156z57

Yes, I did talk about the fish and chip shops in Icknield St., The one by the Gate pub was Morgans, and the one almost opposite the library was Gibbons. I used to use both of these as a child in the 1950's. They were both good. I am trying to remember the name of the newsagent where I used to...
  4. maggs

New unseen photos of brum

They are very important photo's Lyn. If anywhere needs historical photographs it is Birmingham, so much destruction of that city, it makes me very sad.
  5. maggs

New unseen photos of brum

Lovely old pics Lyn, thank you for posting them. Some of my old stamping grounds there. How peaceful and quiet the places look, and how smart the people are dressed. Lots of cars outside the West End even in those days.
  6. maggs

Happy Birthday To The Mini

Without going to check exactly, I think it's about eighty thousand.
  7. maggs

Thank you Lyn. Hope all is well with you and the family x.
  8. maggs

Oh thanks Lyn, I see you have put the old lady on again. Hope people enjoy seeing it. When I go out in it, it does attract a lot of attention, which I find a bit awkward. I often think they are saying something like 'My mom had one of those'...Oh dear. Still, I am proud of the car really.
  9. maggs

Oh What lovely memories this brings back. Thank you. I will keep the pic.
  10. maggs

Hello oldMohawk, Yes, my car still looks exactly the same, had to have a new wheel cylinder last year, but other than that, nothing new since I put the pic on the Forum. Do you remember we also talked about Terry Smith from the Mohawks at Spring Hill Ice rink?
  11. maggs

I still have my mini and it's 48 yrs old, still going beautifully.
  12. maggs

Aston Hippodrome Revue

I used to be taken to the Aston hip every Saturday whether it was a revue or whatever with my dad too. I think we saw all the big names of the day there. The pantomime was always good too. Nice memories of the place.
  13. maggs

Royal visits to Birmingham

I remember the Queen and Duke coming down Icknield St. I was working at Bulpitts at the time and went out to see them go right by the office where I worked, which was opposite Payne's shoe repairs and Morgans fish and chip shop (Just before the Gate pub).
  14. maggs

Icknield Street Alert!

Glad you liked it Lyn. I couldn't find a way to send it myself as it was in my gallery not my usual photo area. Judy was good enough to help out.
  15. maggs

Where did you live

I was also born in Dudley Road hospital, and lived in Browning St until 1949.
  16. maggs

Birmingham Cinemas

Thank you one and all for that info. I never went there, but I remember that we had one in the town. Hello Judy, it sounds as though the Tatler/Electric showed a similar sort of thing. What a shame I missed out on them.
  17. maggs

Birmingham Cinemas

Can someone tell me where the Birmingham News Theatre used to be in the 1950's please? Was it the newly refurbished Electrc theatre?
  18. maggs

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I went to Cropwood Open Air school too, and it was the unhappiest time of my life. The memories of it haunt me to this day. I can remember burned porridge, milk straight from the cow which I couldn't tolerate. We had round tin baths on the floor and a matron who cut out toe and finger nails...
  19. maggs

Where did you live

You certainly got around in a short time Bango. What school did you attend when you lived on Icknield St., I assume you were 7 yrs old at the time?
  20. maggs

Shops Muntz st/The Cov

My brother and sister in law owned the newsagent shop in Muntz St., almost opposite Somerville Road. They didn't live on the premises though. This would be 1970 to 1973. Does anyone remember them?
Back