• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Smudger

Royal Mail.

Do you remember " the old days " when if you needed to post a letter all you had to do was stick a stamp on the envelope & stick it in the post box. Nowadays posting Christmas cards is a chore. the letter has to be checked for size to make sure it will go through a letterbox, then it has to be...
  2. Smudger

Wildlife camera.

Has any member got a wildlife camera, if so could they recommend one, preferably not too complicated & not too expensive. { +wifi } Thanks.
  3. Smudger

The most dangerous road.

The roughest road in Britain. My old stomping ground of the 40`s & 50s, Slade road in Erdington has been branded the roughest road in Britain. It was a damn nice friendly place when i lived there, so having lost it`s pub, school & cinema amongst others it`s become a dangerous place, but then...
  4. Smudger

The English Language.

The English language. All the fancy words in use today & i haven`t a clue what most of them mean....Gas lighting.. Meme... woke...wokander...synergy...onboarding? I`m pleased to say non of those words are used by forum members.
  5. Smudger

Zildjian Cymbals & member: Norfolk Brummie

I watched an American auction hunters show last night & the guys came across a Zildjian Cymbal who the late Norfolk Brummie (Eddie ) used to work for. That brass cymbal was valued at $1900. Not bad for a piece of brass! Eddie was a real nice guy with lots of interesting tales of his travels &...
  6. Smudger

British Legion

A nice show put on by the British Legion on tv last night. The kind of show we Brits do so well. Nostalgia at it`s best.
  7. Smudger

Call the Midwife

I`m a big fan fan of "Call the Midwife", it`s all a bit sugary but i don`t care, i love it. Though i have wondered, do they have a creche full of new borns ready to make their debut? Most of the Midwives are real cuties, but my favourites has to be Sister Monica Joan with her senior moments ( to...
  8. Smudger

Benny Hill

I was on youtube today looking for a review about a drill i`m thinking of buying. I also noticed a clip from the Benny Hill tv show which i watched, & i know that type of comedy was "of it`s time", but it still made me chuckle. :laughing: Such a pity about the way the pc brigade hounded him...
  9. Smudger

Old Money

I set aside £50 a month for holiday spending money. My Wife asked me yesterday if i had any old £10 notes in my savings, as from the first of March they cease to be legal tender & can`t be spent in shops. I had £100 in old tenners so i`m taking them to my bank & get them changed. So, check...
  10. Smudger

Baldwin And Mason Hardware Aston

For a while after leaving the Army, i drove for a hardware wholesaler in Aston (or possibly Nechells) & for the life of me i can`t remember the name of the firm. Can anyone help? Thanks, Smudger.
  11. Smudger

Playing The Wag

What excuses did you make up to play the wag or bunk off school? I used to drink salted water to make myself vomit & Mom would say " You`d better stay in bed today if you`re not very well " As soon as Mom left for work, out came the fishing rod & down to Brookvale park for some r & r.
  12. Smudger

Elvis

It`s 40 years since the death of Elvis. Not surprising he died so young when this was his favourite sandwhich.
  13. Smudger

Doris Day

My all time favourite female singer, Doris Day, has just found out she`s not 93 as she thought, but she`s actually 95! She never had much luck with the men in her life who fleeced her out of $ millions. Happy birthday Doris.
  14. Smudger

Usb 3

I`ve installed a ssd on my laptop, but i don`t have usb 3, so i don`t get the full advantage of the ssd. My laptop doesn`t have a express card slot which i could have used to upgrade to usb 3, so the question is, how can i upgrade usb 2 to usb 3 when i haven`t got a express card slot.? I`ve...
  15. Smudger

Readability Of Posts

Hi all. I don`t wish to be a nit-picker (yes i do). It would be helpful when reading messages if the poster could slip in the occasional comma, full stop, apostrophe etc, so numb-nuts like me can grasp what they`re writing about, & please don`t type too quickly as i`m a slow reader. Thank you...
  16. Smudger

Spellcheck

Warren Like the new format. Is there any chance of inserting a spellcheck? It wud be much apreeshiated :-} Smudger.
  17. Smudger

Bad Pool Header

On my wifes pc she sometimes gets "bad pool header error", & the pc shuts down & takes a while to boot up again. I`ve Googled the problem & all sorts of remedies come up, some which seem really complicated to me. If anyone has a simple solution that a non techie can work with, it would be most...
  18. Smudger

Youtube Music

I like the song from the Sky Q fluid viewing ad (I`ve gotta be me ) so i went onto You tube to download it, & i was surprised to hear it was sung by Sammy Davis jr. I never realised Sammy was such a good singer. Youtube is so handy for downloading free music. Without it, gravity is just gravy.
  19. Smudger

Presents

What is the best present you ever received? For me, it was a 2 foot long shoe horn from my grandaughter. And the most useless present? A silver tea strainer from her mother. My wife & i only drink coffee (+whisky + Baileys) & a tea strainer is neither use nor ornament for any of those. Smudger.
  20. Smudger

Medals

There was an item on tv yesterday where some chap is campaigning for all service personnel who served for more than 2 years to get some sort of medal. Load of old codswallop if you ask me. Medals should be given for bravery & a distinguished career. The only brave thing i ever did was to eat...
Back