• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Chelmsley Wood Pubs

Hi Jan, Just revisited this thread, and realised that I had not replied to your post. Sorry about that, - my memory is awful these days! Hope you and John are both well, - I often think of our happy memories with the old 021 Club. Seems like yesterday, but it was over 40 years ago! We moved...
  2. D

New Street Station Platform 3

Hi John, The platforms on the left are 4 and 5, -The train facing us is standing at platform 3. Great pics/ Kind regards Dave
  3. D

Radio

Hi Pete, Is that second picture really of the interior of the car above? A 1966 car fitted with a National HRO receiver? I would have thought it would have had one of those Eddystone DF jobs. Kind regards Dave
  4. D

440 alum rock road 1936 grocers shop

Hi, I can remember both Oakley's and Barnetts Stores in Albert Road in the 1950's and into the early 60s. We did all our grocery shopping at Oakleys, and I recollect that it was run by a Miss Oakley (never knew her Christian name) who lived in a large house on the corner of Bordesley Green...
  5. D

Sheldon

Hi, I don't remember the farm, but I do remember a large old derelict barn on that land between Garretts Green Lane and the Radleys around 1960. A friend and I had taken our girlfriends there one Saturday afternoon, - there was still plenty of hay in there! Well, we hadn't been there for...
  6. D

Spring Hill Passage

Hi, It looks to me like there was no clear distinction between whether the houses were back /150 or 152. There were 5 houses listed as 1 - 5 in that court 4 of which were /150 with no room for any other houses actually behind 150. I lived at 8 Back 67 Tilton Road in the 60's, the court...
  7. D

Birmingham butchers retail.

Hi, Does anyone remember Aston's Buchers on the corner of Station Road and Lyndon Road Stechford? Sawdust on the floor, and the door to the shop had a slot at either side of the doorframe, into which they could hook the legs of a full carcase to split it in half. A real old fashioned shop...
  8. D

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

Hi, Just noticed that the picture in post 30 shows the address as Saltley. I would have thought that it was Bordesley Green. Has the boundary changed since the time of the pic? Kind regards Dave
  9. D

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

Hi Jim, If I remember correctly, the court at the old school didn't have a roof' There were 2 courts at Kings Heath, which were roofed, and I have a vague recollection that some games were played there after school, but I don't know if they were part of a competition. I do remember that they...
  10. D

Stechford Area

Hi Viv, Did you notice, - the house next door still has the 1937 windows! Kind regards Dave
  11. D

Stechford - The Village

Hi Viv, That's a smashing picture. Just as I remember it too! Where have all those years gone? Kind regards Dave
  12. D

Stechford Area

Hi Maggieanne, Before WW2 Levis's were famous for their motorcycles, I think they mainly made HEC compressors post war. Kind regards Dave
  13. D

PILLBOXES OR BLOCKHOUSES

Hi Pete, One here at the end of our street in Scratby. I think there are still plenty around. Kind regards Dave
  14. D

The Railways

Hi Pete, I used to stand right where that cameraman was waiting for my train to the city every weekday. I lived in Frederick Road for 15 years behind the school playground just past the signal box in the 50s/early 60s. You are right about the smut, and that train like all express trains would...
  15. D

Hi Enrico, Yes, thats the name I couldn't quite rmember, he was the Form Master for 2G Many thanks. Kind regards Dave.
  16. D

Hi, Just a couple of pics which were taken on Sports Day back in the late 50's. Farmerdave posted the one of Holy Hovis a couple of years ago and I have just rediscovered that one, together with a close up which I have attached. Also one of Dr. 'Spud' Kober, 'Polly' Bates, and I think Mr...
  17. D

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Hi, The fruit of the hedgerow, (mainly blackberries I should think), is free to be taken by passers by. Kind regards Dave
  18. D

Gun Trade Factories

Hi, When I used to shoot at Hurley Range in the 1960s, .303 Mk V11 cartridges cost 3d each! They came in boxes of 32. Kind regards Dave
  19. D

Small Heath Streets

Hi Pete, Would this be on the Bomb Peck - I don't remember this, or maybe at the back of Raggy Allen's. Please remind me! Kind regards Dave
  20. D

Small Heath Streets

Hi, I think its definitely post WW2 as I can see the bomb peck on the corner of Tilton Road opposite the Royal George. I lived at 8/67 in the late 60's, up the first entry next to the bomb peck. The houses were pulled down in the early 70's from memory. Kind regards Dave
Back